PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Food

crxin
09/13/2009, 08:39 AM
SO whats the trick with the pellet food? I bought some formula 2 pellets from my LFS, and the bottle doesnt give instructions on how to administer. When i put the pellets in the tank they sink right to the bottom, even if i try and soak them first, is this normal?

thanks

Anemone0524
09/13/2009, 08:43 AM
yes, they are designed to do that. If they didn't sink, they'd go right to the overflow.

I feed twice a day, two small pinches of pellets each. Depends on how many fish you have.

kikireef
09/13/2009, 09:07 AM
Make sure you mix what you feed. I fed only frozen food for a few months and fish started to develop tail rot. As soon as I started to mix their diet they all got better. This may have not been the problem but it seemed to be the solution. hope that helps. And yes they should sink. Only feed a small bit at a time so you don't get lots of uneaten pellets laying around.

Roy G. Biv
09/13/2009, 09:26 AM
I have an automatic feeder with formula 1&2 pellets and flakes. The flakes float in the ring and the pellets fall. It splits up the group during feedings.

wrott
09/13/2009, 10:12 AM
Ocean Nutrition pellets do sink rather quickly compared to New Life Spectrum or Tetra microcrabs. The NLS do not float for very long, they seem to stay suspended just a little bit longer.
And most fish love the Tetra microcrab bits--it's freeze-dried cyclops-eeze and other good stuff. This will stay suspended the longest, and will float into overflow if you don't hold it under water for few seconds as with flake.

Aquarist007
09/13/2009, 12:10 PM
I am not a big fan of relying solely on pellets. Rather I use flake, flaked soaked fish oil, frozen mysis, silver side minnows etc etc.

If you are worried about the flake being removed then turn off the main flow for the tank and or skimmer for 45 min or so while your fish and or corals feed.

cloak
09/13/2009, 01:55 PM
Watch out using those pellets, they can really pack a punch if there not being consumed. Big things in little packages.

Aquarist007
09/13/2009, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15694987#post15694987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloak
Watch out using those pellets, they can really pack a punch if there not being consumed. Big things in little packages.

I agree, that is why I am not a big fan of them esp in tanks with not enough flow.