PDA

View Full Version : skimmer overflowing through hole in lid

CUfishfan
09/13/2009, 11:40 AM
I have a Seaclone (I know, I know), but it's been ok so far- I've finally gotten used to readjusting it.

My question: I like the way it's skimming now- I get about 2/3 of a cup of really dark skimmate every few days. However, before filling up the collection cup, the bubbles are coming out through the little venting hole in the top of the lid. If I shift the top so it's not entirely closed, the bubbles eventually push the lid off completely.

I've tried opening and closing the air valve, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions on how to make it stop?

sam11909
09/13/2009, 11:53 AM
Mine does that all the time, I just wipe the bubbles off once a day. Did you do any mods to get it to skim better?

CUfishfan
09/13/2009, 09:59 PM
The only thing I've done is to replace the air intake valve with a better one. It's not the worst problem in the world, but it looks bad and doesn't smell great. So if there's a way to keep it from happening, I'm all ears...

I tried blocking the venting hole in the lid with cotton, but then the entire lid was lifted up by bubbles, and they overflowed over the sides...:thumbdown

b18glc
09/20/2009, 06:37 PM
what other mods can u make to a seaclone

sam11909
09/20/2009, 07:08 PM
I cut a plastic cup in half and placed it on the out put. now I can turn the bubbles to high and it will still be wet enough to skim, if you know what I mean. here's a pic

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/220835mod.JPG

fairly easy mod and doesn't cost much!:rolleyes: