PDA

View Full Version : Attaching sponge to rock?

PattersM
09/13/2009, 02:02 PM
I've just bought some sponge from the LFS. I don't know the species but it is a dark green color and has white tips. The shape is like drinking straws that point upwards from the base.

In putting it into my tank, underwater to prevent air entering the tissue, quite a lot of it broke off.

Can I attach them to rock using quick drying gel or is glueing sponge not possible?

The large bit is sitting on the tank bottom but the broken bits are moving around in the flow so I was hoping to keep them in one place.

If anyone can id the sponge type that would be great.

cloak
09/13/2009, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure if the glue would work with sponges. I've always had good luck just wedging them in between some rocks. If conditions are right, it should attach pretty quick.

Aqua Keepers
09/13/2009, 05:20 PM
Just wedge it between some rocks and it will do it's own thing

greenbean36191
09/14/2009, 07:11 AM
Gluing and wedging between rocks will work for hardier species, but generally both are bad ideas for sponges. The problem is that they block water flow through areas at the base of the sponge, effectively suffocating the tissue there. Once necrosis starts, it sets off a chain reaction that can take out the whole sponge if action isn't taken quickly.

With most sponges the best way to attach them is to stick toothpicks into the base and then glue the toothpicks to the rock or wedge the toothpicks into a hole.

Also, keep an eye on the white tips on your sponge. They may be a sign that it was exposed to air and the tips are now dying off. If the white starts spreading downwards be prepared to cut it off to preserve the healthy tissue.