PDA

View Full Version : Puffer Vs the "powerhead"

Vinniejt76
09/13/2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, so i got a new dogface puffer. He's about 5 inches. This evening I noticed he was "resting " on one of my powerheads. Well' after closer inspection he was actually stuck. I freed him and he seemed fine, so i figured must have been freak occurance. Well, 30 minutes later he was stuck again. I've had him for about a week and he's never done this until now. He's healthy and eating well. Doesn't look tramatized form the incident. Only problem now is....what do I do about the power head? I have it in there for movement. The only other current being moved is from the two returns. Anyone have this problem before? ny advice?

Recty
09/13/2009, 07:23 PM
What type of powerhead?

Does it have some sort of screen or shield over the input?

My golden arothron puffer used to go sit on my Koralia 4s, just hanging out. He looked "stuck" but he wasnt, when he wanted to move he would just swim off of them.

Vinniejt76
09/13/2009, 07:32 PM
Actually it's a koralia 3. And before reading this, I noticed him sitting on it again (this time it was off). So Iguess it's possible he wasn't stuck? He sure looked like it though. If I find him there again, this time I'll try to make him move to see if he is indeed stuck or not.

flameangel88
09/13/2009, 07:33 PM
I'd the same problem this past week with a 6" Mappa Puffer on the first day and I'd to shut the Koralia 4 off and once the puffer settled in the next day I was able to turn the pump back on. I guess it was shipping stress the first day and it was looking for a place to holdout. It looked like the pump was sucking it on but the puffer didn't struggle to free itself from the pump. It's been fine since day two and eating everything.

Do you have any fish causing stress to the puffer?

Vinniejt76
09/13/2009, 07:45 PM
No, He's the second fish in the tank. I just began stocking. His only tankmate is a gold strip maroon, and she doesn't mind him at all. Last night they were sleeping in the same cave together.

I put my hand in the tank to see what kind of suction the koralia 3 has going into it. It has very little suction at all which makes sense because of the design. It's not like a maxi jet. This leads me to believe he was actually just sitting on it.

Gotsoup
09/13/2009, 08:50 PM
That is my Porc's favorite place to hang out. The way the Koralia's are set up make it so the fish don't really receive any damage

triggerfreak
09/14/2009, 04:14 AM
Yeah he is not stuck.I have a 8 inch golden puffer that does it all the time.I was worried at first also and removed him multiple times but he still does it.I just leave him now and he gets off when he wants.

reefergeorge
09/14/2009, 05:22 PM
My 6"porc sits right on my koralia #4 all the time. Never had a problem even though his bottom fin comes close to the impeller sometimes.