PDA

View Full Version : LFS advice on lighting???

FragStealerOK
09/13/2009, 08:48 PM
My LFS told me the 108 watt T5 light will bleach my corals in my 24 aquapod.

Its the 20 in", 6x18watt fixture.

Does any have experience with this on such a small tank?

imnotanerd
09/13/2009, 09:37 PM
thats alot of light in that small of a tank but if its too much power just set the fixture higher.

xlayedoutx
09/14/2009, 01:19 AM
Same fixture and tank I have and none of my corals are bleached.

gh0st
09/14/2009, 07:31 AM
They may bleach some things if you don't acclimate the corals to the more intense lighting.

Otherwise it will depend on what types of coral and placement in the tank.

nanojg
09/14/2009, 07:50 AM
I think you will be fine, what light are you switching from? If its a lot less light then you might want to put some light defuser under the lights for a while.

The NEP isnt the best t5 fixture, so I doubt the light will be too intense.

FragStealerOK
09/14/2009, 11:29 AM
I am switching from the stock aquapod lighting. I will slowly acclimate but alot of my corals are glued to the rock, so it could create a problem.

I was thinking about only using 4 bulbs at first, then put in the last 2. I would do this over the course of a month or so. Eggcrate or mesh to diffuse would be use as well.

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I would need to just make sure I acclimate very slowly.

epleeds
09/14/2009, 02:10 PM
just acclimate slow. start off with say 3 hours at a time and slowly increase.

savethereef
09/14/2009, 02:23 PM
when you are acclimating corals its not just the time the lights are on. Its also the height you run the lights. For example run your lights on for one week at a height of 14 inches from the water and slowly every couple days drop it on inch till you reach your point where it sits about 7-8 inches off the water.

Its all based on intensity of your lights and the spectrum. If you have a 20k combination the you can start lower. If you have a 14k i would do it a little higher.