PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with a 35 gallon?

sevendigitcake
09/14/2009, 10:59 AM
I recently got a 35 gallon tank and i dont know what to put in there. the dimensions are 36"x12"x18". Before anyone says reef, im already doing a 75 gallon reef and would rather set up the 35 as a fowlr. Any suggestions on fish? I was thinking a scorpionfish tank( maybe different kinds of dwarf lions or some leaf fish). Is there any fish that would do good in there alone that i wouldnt have to upgrade in the future(no undys). what do you guys think?

Cracken
09/14/2009, 12:04 PM
Angler

flyingace2005
09/14/2009, 12:05 PM
Angler or tight lid and an octopus.

LisaD
09/14/2009, 12:10 PM
You could have a trio of leaf fish, along with some other fairly mellow predators. I have kept seahorses with leaf fish, and that could make for an interesting tank.

You could have a "mini-predator" tank. If you decided not to keep lionfish, some of the dwarf puffers (tobies) are really nice. A royal gramma would be good in this type of tank.

fish stalker
09/15/2009, 11:04 AM
You could look at inverts too, like a mantis. Very interesting to keep and a 37 if mantis proof (ie add a sheet of acrylic to the base of the tank before placing sand etc) would be fine for a peacock. Else + 1 for tobies or angler

sedor
09/15/2009, 11:11 AM
I like the miniature predator idea with smaller rocks so you can create a more interesting layout.

Snail-po
09/15/2009, 05:22 PM
i am personally a fan of anglers and think one would look quite nice in a 35g.

LisaD
09/15/2009, 05:48 PM
Anglers are also a very good choice. Liveaquaria Diver's Den usually has a few nice ones. The best, IMO are the painted angler (A pictus) or wartsking (A maculatus). If you want to learn more about anglers, Reef Fishes volume 1 (Scott Michael) has one of a chapter on anglers, some of the best information on ID and husbandry I've seen. Be careful, some species get too large for a 35 (notably A commersoni).

Bonta
09/15/2009, 08:43 PM
I like the toby idea and sea horse/angler tanl

iamwrasseman
09/15/2009, 08:50 PM
morey eel or rinopliasi and the anglers are cool too

baldwinaquaman
09/15/2009, 11:33 PM
Hairy anglers are awesome, and mushroom polyps create an intersting layout with this fish, require very little light, which makes the frog happy, and creates an natural look.

LisaD
09/16/2009, 07:58 AM
I like the toby idea and sea horse/angler tanl

be aware, an angler pretty much needs to have the tank to itself. you will be surprised at what these fish will try to swallow, including fish bigger than them. this usually results in death to both. anglers WILL eat seahorses, lionfish, whatever they can get their mouths around. on the other hand, they are also very vulnerable, and often get picked to death by fish that pick at corals or inverts (like angelfish or tangs) and they can't compete with "fast" aggressive fish for food.

namxas
09/16/2009, 08:40 AM
+1 w/Lisa...anglers should be in a species tank.

that being said, waspfish, smaller stingfish (Choridactylus sp.), leaf scorps (as mentioned), Dendrochirus lions, esp. D. biocellatus (fu-manchu).

the nice thing about the leaf fish and waspfish is that you can keep them in small groups or mix them. DD has a nice red-finned waspfish ATM (we keep two of them, and they're great fish). these fish all have smaller mouths and, as such, are easier to keep together without fear of them eating each other.

red-finned waspfish (Paracentropogon rubripinnis)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/waspfishpretty700.jpg

leaf scorp (Taenianotus triacanthus)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/pair.jpg

c.ockatoo waspfish (Ablabys taenianotus)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/cockatoo3700.jpg

bearded ghoul stingfish (Choridactylus multibarbus)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/glow700.jpg

LisaD
09/16/2009, 09:54 AM
these are great fish, I envy Greg and Renee's collection! especially the ghoul.

namxas
09/16/2009, 06:59 PM
good to see you back, Lisa! :)

LisaD
09/17/2009, 05:17 AM
good to be back, Greg, thanks. my mom was very sick, so I haven't been around. things are closer to normal now.

spw4949
09/17/2009, 10:23 AM
I set up a 38 gallon about 4 months ago with the intentions of having a seahorse tank. Once I realized I wouldn't be able to do seahorses I decided to do an "aggressive" tank. I wanted an eel bad but I personally don't like to buy fish that will outgrow my tank so my list will be as follows: golden dwarf moray(max 12") added yesterday & he is awesome!! Dwarf lion & a neon dottyback.