PDA

View Full Version : Clown tangs

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 11:56 AM
I currently have an Atlantic Blue tang in my 210g tank reef, and I just love how clown tangs look. I know they are usually listed as aggressive, so I'm wondering what experience people have had with them, and/or any recommendations

snorvich
09/14/2009, 12:10 PM
They are very aggressive plus the survival rate is not good. They are pretty, but I certainly would pass if it were me, especially since you have already committed to a powder blue and powder brown!!

agreeive?fish
09/14/2009, 01:44 PM
I want an atlantic blue tang as well as an clown tang but i wont have the clown because i dont think my biggest tank is big enough for one (7 footer) and i would not attempt a powder brown, powder blue, and an atlantic blue in the same tank

disclaimer

this is only an opinion and its just my opinion and i have no degrees in anything remotley related to fish/biology ect

BrianD
09/14/2009, 01:47 PM
Yes, but didn't you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

agreeive?fish
09/14/2009, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15700084#post15700084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
Yes, but didn't you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

LOL

nope but i did fall asleep in the recliner

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15699592#post15699592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
They are very aggressive plus the survival rate is not good. They are pretty, but I certainly would pass if it were me, especially since you have already committed to a powder blue and powder brown!!

Yeah it was either the powder tangs and the atlantic blue tang, or the clown tang and the atlantic blue tang.

cmart28
09/14/2009, 06:38 PM
Forget the Clown tang and trying to add both the Powder Blue and Brown. Just go with the Powder Brown which is best decision you could make. I had both a Blue and Brown, not in the same tank. I started with the Blue and it was fat and healthy, ate everything, but was a nasty SOB so I got rid of him and got the Brown instead. So far everything is fine with the Brown, eats everything and not even as close to aggressive as the Blue was. Save yourself the possible headaches and just go with the Powder Brown.

tewkes
09/14/2009, 09:52 PM
I almost bought a cute little clown tang today. My lfs had a few of them for $16. They were about 2.5" and seemed healthy. I asked the owner about them and he said the survival rate is poor. I figured because it was so small that if it did survive it might not be as aggressive due to growing up around larger tangs.
Needless to say I passed and picked up a convict, which are still hard to keep but at least if it lives it shouldn't be as aggressive.

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 09:54 PM
well at least your fish store owner offered you good advice. You dont see that too much now-a-days where I live.

and 16$??? thats a hell of a deal. My fish store would sell them for like 75$