PDA

View Full Version : Aquaeuro 55, euroreef rs 80 or vertex 80 for a 37g seahorse tank w/ 10g sump

Radioheadx14
09/14/2009, 04:45 PM
I'm getting everything ready for my 37g seahorse tank and want to get some opinions on a skimmer. I will probably be using a 10g tank for a sump (I might go bigger if i can find a good deal on something that will fit in my stand.) probably wont do a fuge since i will be growing lots of macros in the tank. I also want something that will be quiet and wont produce heat (since I'm going to try to keep the temp around 73*F)
The 3 things I'm considering right now are

Aquaeuro 55 skimmer. Someone told me they are good skimmer and are properly rate unlike most skimmers that over rate.
http://www.aquacave.com/ps-55-needle-wheel-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-aquaeuro-usa-2061.html
A large part of me being interested in this skimmer is that it is pretty inexpensive and rather small, so it would fit well in my 10g sump... and the recommendation from someone who is pretty knowledgeable.

Euroreef rs 80. There is a guy selling one for 120 shipped (same price as the aquaeuro but a year old.) I know they were the talk of the town a few years ago but you dont hear much about them anymore. Do they need a lot of water to work correctly and do they produce heat or a lot of noise?

Lastly, vertex 80. Marinedepot is having a 20% sale in October on these skimmers. I hear great things, but would they be worth spending a little extra on or would it be over kill? plus I'm not sure how big they are and if they need a lot of water to function. I've also heard skepticism about their pumps... heat, quality etc.

Edit: how well does the ASM mini or the reef octopus nwb110 work? i noticed these are pretty inexpensive and are rated around or above what i'm looking for.

Also, I would be open to suggestions. I'm looking for something that will get the job done but I'm not looking to break the bank... my 90g SPS tank already did that.

Also, please no on word answers. If you have an opinion, please elaborate so I know why you pick one over the other.

jhoff
09/14/2009, 06:14 PM
All i can say is i have the vertex IN-80 on my 46g. bowfront with 5 med. size fish and it kicks A** Had skimate in about 3 days love it..

cobbobby
09/14/2009, 06:58 PM
The vertex in80 or bubble magnus na6 would be a great choice.

Radioheadx14
09/14/2009, 07:11 PM
bubble mangus need too deep of water. I think if i used that in a 10g, it might overflow when i turn the return pump off.

moondoggy4
09/14/2009, 07:24 PM
The ER needs about 7/12'' deep, and my CS5/3 same skimmer does not overflow when the sump fills up with water unlike two of my other skimmers. PS it does fit in a 10 gallon sump.

Radioheadx14
09/14/2009, 07:52 PM
I'm leaning toward the er 80 because it is a good deal. I know a lot of people like the vertex, but it is a little more expensive. I'm trying to decide if pay a little more for better performance will really be worth it... all of these skimmers are rate well over what i'll have. While seahorses are significantly messier than the normal fish, I'm thinking any of these skimmers mixed with a good amount of live rock, lots of calerpa and other macros... I don't think think I'll have much of a waste problem.

Radioheadx14
09/15/2009, 12:10 PM
Bump... any more opinions on some of the other skimmers listed?