PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Tangs in Same tank

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 08:50 PM
Ok as you can see I've made a thread about adding a powder blue and powder brown tang into my tank. I broke it down to just adding one Acanthurus, but didnt realize that my Atlantic Blue tang is of the same species.

Now I've reconsidered my options, and have decided to stick with different tang species.

Here is what I'm interested in
-Chevron Tang (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensi)
-Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
-Scopas Tang (Zebrasoma scopas)

I DEFINITELY want the chevron tang, and I know although it's a different species, it still most likely has the same probability to stir up trouble with my atlantic blue tang.

What do you think I should get if anything along with the chevron tang?

InsaneClownFish
09/14/2009, 09:40 PM
I'm in a similar boat for the future with my tank. I'm considering a Hippo, Chevron, and Lemon Tang combo.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the less aggressive of the Acanthurus can be kept together if they are different sizes.

tewkes
09/14/2009, 09:44 PM
It really all depends on the individual fish. I've seen people keep multiple tangs that are supposed to be aggressive in the same tank without problems. On the other hand others have kept tangs that are supposed to be docile and they were complete terrors. I was just at a guys house this past weekend that had 6-8 large tangs (vlamingi, 3 yellows, purple, atlantic blue, sohal, naso, and a bunch of angels and smaller fish) and they were all living together without problems.

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15702853#post15702853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
It really all depends on the individual fish. I've seen people keep multiple tangs that are supposed to be aggressive in the same tank without problems. On the other hand others have kept tangs that are supposed to be docile and they were complete terrors. I was just at a guys house this past weekend that had 6-8 large tangs (vlamingi, 3 yellows, purple, atlantic blue, sohal, naso, and a bunch of angels and smaller fish) and they were all living together without problems.

Can he ship me the purple, yellow and atlantic tangs :)

One thing I'm interested in knowing is what would happen if I added them all in. Personally I find that just adding 1 more tang to my tank would cause a 1 on 1 war.

What would happen adding 3 more tangs to the tank. Would there be a gigantic war, or would all the fish just be like "F' it" and not bother lol.

I really wanna be able to have these three tangs in there, its just that getting them out is a heck of a job.

InsaneClownFish
09/14/2009, 10:11 PM
IMO you're better off adding them all at once.

Kdocimo90
09/14/2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah that's I'm thinking.

I think I'll go for it and try all three.
Not to jinx anything, but I havent had much luck adding fish. Hopefully keeping my tank well maintained will give me a little good karma and this will all work out.

myreef14
09/14/2009, 11:01 PM
I've had a Scopas and a Lopezi living together for about 8 months. Every now and then one of them will sport some hash marks that let me know there's been a little bit of drama behind the rock work, but they are both thriving - especially the Lopezi who is a real nori hog!

agreeive?fish
09/15/2009, 06:53 AM
adding them at the same time will spread out the agression.. it wont stop it but will be less on each individal fish... unless 2 of them decide to tag team one of them which is always a possibility but in my experience whne adding fish to a tank with an established (possible) agressive fish adding multiple fish at one time is the way to go... but always have a back up plan incase it dont go well for one or more fishies... this of course is if your tank is mature enough for the additional jump in the bio load

also just a side note the cheveron tang loses all of those beautiful colors in adulthood (i think) and i8n another thread you mentioned a purple tang.. iam guessing here but you may have some problems with a purple with your atlantic blue depending on the "color" of your blue because they may see each others colors as being to simmilar..you have some of the same taste in tangs as me and some of the same stocking issues as i do(want vs have)

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 09:26 AM
well my atlantic blue tang has been in the "changing" stage for a while now. He's still a dark yellowish almost greenish. I dont know if that will make a a difference.

As far as the adult chevron. I dont think it really loses it's color, its just the adult pattern isnt as nice as the juvenile pattern. The lines basically just straighten out like this:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/2535_chevron.jpg

I still think it's pretty cool though.

As far as having them get along, here are a few ideas I have (I really have no guarantee that they will work)

1. Long, slow acclimation in the same rubbermaid/bucket
2. Separating each tang (but the atlantic blue, because I cant get a hold of him) into their own strawberry baskets in the tank to see how they act when they're near each other.

UtahReefer
09/15/2009, 10:12 AM
The adult chevron will get darker then that picture you posted kdocimo
They are still awesome fish!

+1 on adding the three new tangs at the same time! Especially the scopas and the yellow! If not you will have war!!!

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks Utah. Yeah the chevron, although expensive is truly awesome looking.

What do you guys think about my 2 ideas as far as acclimation and introduction?

UtahReefer
09/15/2009, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't go to that extent. I would just add them at the same time into a dark tank.
The Atlantic Blue isn't really going to care about the other fish. He may posture a bit, but because they are different species you should be just fine.

Do you have a qt tank set up or are you just going to introduce them to the display tank?

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 10:39 AM
I'm going to just introduce them into the display. I do have a tank though in case something goes wrong and I need a place to separate them.

The other tank I have is only about 40g so I dont think qting them together would be worth it as they have no space, and they are much more likely to fight with such limited space.

MazdaSPD3
09/15/2009, 11:07 AM
Its funny how they practically have to be added at the same time to limit the amount of aggression. My cousin added a tang and it was the biggest wimp of all time, hiding all 4 hours between introduction and the addition of a newer tang...but boy, once that newer tang hit the water, 4 hours seemed like 4 years of establishment.

Good luck with your quest.

xxtriggermanxx
09/15/2009, 11:45 AM
I have almost the same tangs as your list. Black instead of Scopas. added them all at one time. the yellow which is the smallest picked a bit with the black but settled in after about an hour. As far as the Chevron not losing his color in my case that's true . mine is extremely dark with faint stripes on the body . the only time you will see his stripes is at feeding time or if someone get's him mad. Here is a picture of my three.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/P3171447.jpg

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 11:50 AM
very cool. I would love a black tang, but I honestly cant afford it lol.

You're right though, that chevron IS very dark lol.

BrianD
09/15/2009, 11:52 AM
Triggerman, that is a very beautiful picture.

urbor
09/15/2009, 01:57 PM
Ok I have a 500 gallon display with lots of live rock.

I added a Black Tang 3.5", and two Yellow Tangs 2" at the same time.

Wow the black tang has beat the crap out of both yellows their fins are all tattered. I dont know if they are going to make it.

There is also a hippo and fowleri tang in there and the black tang just ignores them.

They just know if they are closely related. No fooling them.

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah the Black tang and Yellow tangs are the same species. The only same species I'd be adding is the new Yellow Tang and the new Scopas Tang. I'm not sure what is going to go on with the Chevron and Atlantic Blue, as they are different species of tangs but they look pretty similar.

But you're lucky the black tang is beating the crap out of the yellow rather than the other way around!

urbor
09/15/2009, 03:14 PM
funny you say that b/c i bought the really small yellow tangs so that there was no way the black tang was going to get beaten on.

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 03:43 PM
yeah size does make a big difference when adding a new tang. I wonder what would have happened if the yellow tang were bigger.

Would the black still be aggressive because its "his" tank?
Would the yellow be aggressive because its bigger?
Would there be "peace" because the yellow tang is bigger and the black tang owns the tank?

xxtriggermanxx
09/15/2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks BrianD !

Kdocimo90 , if you do the math the only real way to do it is to add a smaller yellow . which one can you afford to replace if things go really wrong... if you go with a much smaller yellow they will figure out who's the boss in no time and yellows are pretty tuff.

fishkid6692
09/15/2009, 04:12 PM
so your adding 4 more tangs? or 3?

BrianD
09/15/2009, 04:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15706631#post15706631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishkid6692
so your adding 4 more tangs? or 3?

I agree. I am lost.

fishkid6692
09/15/2009, 04:19 PM
i just thought 4-5 full grown tangs in a 210g would be a little much. i may be wrong though.

InsaneClownFish
09/15/2009, 05:24 PM
Triggerman, that is a very beautiful picture.

I've noticed that picture before. A big +1 :)

I think Kd is getting that reefer disease called, "OMGtheysaiditsoksohowboutjustonemore."

It's a common disease linked to casual nods of approval from fellow reefers via RC.
Careful, you too can catch this deadly disease!!! :p

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 06:42 PM
I will be adding 3 more tangs. When I was referring to the black tang, I was just making an example from trigger's tangs.

I already have an Atlantic Blue Tang
I will be adding
-Scopas Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Chevron Tang

I personally dont think that is too much, as
-I don't have many fish in the tank already.
-I have plenty of rock work, as well as PLENTY of swimming space
-It's a 6ft tank

I've seen successful tanks with 9-10 tangs before, it's just a matter of getting each other to coexist peacefully.

fishkid6692
09/15/2009, 07:22 PM
if you consider there full grown size i think it would be pushing it. and 9-10 tangs is ridiculous in anything less then a 5-600g tank. maybe bigger. is this going to be it for fish?

BrianD
09/15/2009, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15707426#post15707426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
I will be adding 3 more tangs. When I was referring to the black tang, I was just making an example from trigger's tangs.

I already have an Atlantic Blue Tang
I will be adding
-Scopas Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Chevron Tang

I personally dont think that is too much, as
-I don't have many fish in the tank already.
-I have plenty of rock work, as well as PLENTY of swimming space
-It's a 6ft tank

I've seen successful tanks with 9-10 tangs before, it's just a matter of getting each other to coexist peacefully.

Good luck. I think the only issue you might have will be with the Atlantic blue, but I have no personal experience with the combination you are suggesting. My educated guess would be no better than yours :)

One small suggestion, if I may: consider what fish are on your "want" list, and think about whether your present stocking plans will accomodate any future additions. Personally, I limit my tank to a few larger fish to allow me to drop in a cool new addition occasionally ;)

lubyone1
09/15/2009, 10:16 PM
I don't think 4-5 tangs in a 210 is too many. Chances are once a tang hits 7-8" a person will probably trade it in...at least in a "small" setup like a 210. I know regardless of what size tank I have...(shooting for a 7"x3" in a year or two)...I'd never want to keep a tang that size in a reef....it would obviously look out of place and certainly won't be happy in anything less than a monster tank. My 4" blue tang is constantly fragging corals as it is in my 125. I can't even imagine having one twice that size.

The 30 year reefer..Paul B is it?....has mentioned that in his experience....a tank will stunt the growth of any fish. Chances of all 4 tangs maturing and getting to full size without us upgrading/downsizing/crashing/swapping is very slim. The unfortunate sad truth.

A note on tang compatibility: Take Goodwin9 for example...he has a 600 gallon tank with 24 tangs in it...plus other fish. It's obvious that tangs of the same species can get along....but the circumstances and fish vary from situation to situation. I have 3 tangs in my 125 (ya ya I have to many). I recently introduced a powder brown to the mix (yellow and regal) and my YT was beating the crap out of him for 2 days....not just flashing fins.....backing and swatting.....even though they are different species. About a week later and things have settled down considerably. I'm very lucky to have found a fat/healthy powder brown because I think in any other situation...he would have been a goner.

In an ideal world...I'd introduce all your tangs at the same time...maybe even put the Chevron in a day or two earlier. I wouldn't want to risk losing my $150-200 fish because a YT or a scopas didn't like him.

Just my 2 cents.

Kdocimo90
09/15/2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah the good thing is that I'd be buying the chevron from another from another site, so I would be able to hold off on it to see how things go. But would adding the YT and scopas now make it more likely that one of the tangs will be aggressive towards the Chevron later?

And I hate when people refer to their full/maximum size when discussing how many tangs you should have in your tank.

How long does it take for a tang to grow to its full size? And besides that fact, the worst that can happen is that I take one out if things get way out of hand... I mean they will be "full" size, which will make it easier to catch.

lubyone1
09/16/2009, 09:32 AM
I think tang growth depends heavily on feeding habbits. I generally only feed once a day...about 3 cubes of frozen for 12 fish (3 tangs, a flame angel and a bunch of other 2" fish). I'll feed pellets a few times a week on top of that along with nori a couple times per week. There are weeks where I miss a feeding here and there so I'd say I feed on the light side. My tangs aren't skinny but they are by no means fat either.

My yellow tang has gone from probably 2.5" to 4" in about 3 years. The regal jumped from 2" to 3" in about 6 months. Over the last 18 months he's grown maybe an inch (most aggressive feeder by FAR).

I have a 6 foot tank and you can see that the yellow is still relatively small. If I can keep them a little smaller by feeding them slightly less I will. There is no point in feeding a fish until it gets orca fat...at least in my opinion.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc98/lubyone1/DSCN1825.jpg

lubyone1
09/16/2009, 09:34 AM
I would add them all at the same time or add the YT and the Scopas a day or two later. I don't think the Chevron will show that much aggression toward them if the tank is currently tangless.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15708931#post15708931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
Yeah the good thing is that I'd be buying the chevron from another from another site, so I would be able to hold off on it to see how things go. But would adding the YT and scopas now make it more likely that one of the tangs will be aggressive towards the Chevron later?

And I hate when people refer to their full/maximum size when discussing how many tangs you should have in your tank.

How long does it take for a tang to grow to its full size? And besides that fact, the worst that can happen is that I take one out if things get way out of hand... I mean they will be "full" size, which will make it easier to catch.

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 09:52 AM
the tank currently has an atlantic blue tang

oh and awesome tank lubyone.

BrianD
09/16/2009, 10:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15710421#post15710421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90

oh and awesome tank lubyone.

Definitely!

BrianD
09/16/2009, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15708931#post15708931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90

I think most people look more to the aggression issues with multiple tangs rather than the size of the fish involved. In any case, we should all plan for the size of the fish as it matures. It is no fun to have to find a home for a fish when it outgrows a tank.

BrianD
09/16/2009, 10:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15710292#post15710292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lubyone1
I think tang growth depends heavily on feeding habbits.

I agree with that. A friend of mine just added a purple tang to his 300 gallon reef. The tang is absolutely gorgeous, but is much smaller than what I would have expected for a 3 year old fish. I had a purple tang that was easily twice its size at that age. Now, I know individual fish are different and it is hard to draw conclusions from a limited sample, but the original keeper of the tank kept it with SPS and fed lightly, while I am a heavy feeder of fish. Regardless of its smaller size, the tang in question looks perfect.

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 10:21 AM
I always loved the look of nice, sharp looking purple tangs.

Now I'm drawn up as to how to introduce the tangs.

I REALLY want the Chevron tang though. Should I still add them all at once?

Should I take the Atlantic Blue out and have someone hold it, and keep the Chevron in my tank for a week. Then reintroduce the Atlantic at the same time as the other 2 new tangs??

BrianD
09/16/2009, 10:25 AM
The fish I am referring to:

http://www.thelifeof.saltyendeavors.com/images/aquarium/fish/purple_surgeon2.jpg

Isn't that purty :)

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 10:28 AM
very cool.

Galantra
09/16/2009, 11:55 AM
Yea I would go with adding them all at once
what I tend to do is introduce them to each other in a smaller tank or bucket for a while maybe up to 2 days to see how they act. I feel like its a scare straight program get them use to seeing each other

renogaw
09/16/2009, 01:04 PM
so... how big is your Quarantine tank that you're going to have three big tangs in it so you don't have the chance of adding ich to a big 210?

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15711106#post15711106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Galantra
Yea I would go with adding them all at once
what I tend to do is introduce them to each other in a smaller tank or bucket for a while maybe up to 2 days to see how they act. I feel like its a scare straight program get them use to seeing each other

Can you be more specific with what you mean when talking about putting them in a smaller tank? Should I put dividers in the tank or something? Wouldnt putting them all together in the small tank be worse than putting them all together in a large tank whereas they have no room alone?

Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15711394#post15711394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by renogaw
so... how big is your Quarantine tank that you're going to have three big tangs in it so you don't have the chance of adding ich to a big 210?

Ich is already in my system so all I can really do is feed with garlic. Yes, I know that doesnt get rid of ich, but it would be impossible getting all my fish out, especially the mandarine and blenny, which defeats the purpose of treating for ich (whereas it will just spread back to the fish that I've treated.

I've thought about using a UV sterilier, but decided not to. I would use it if it were a FOWLR, not a reef tank.

But as far as ich, ever since I've fed with garlic all my fish have seemed noticeable healthier, in appearance and "mood". None of my fish have died since I've fed with garlic.

Galantra
09/16/2009, 02:13 PM
Well the reason why I do it that way is to really get them use to each other placing them in a smaller tank with no hiding places see and react with each other( they tend to be scared first introduce where they come together to stay protected). Help lessen the situation of being aggresive having to fight for food.

BrianD
09/16/2009, 02:52 PM
If you are having issues with parasites (are you sure it is ich?), I would be extremely leary about adding a group of tangs. A healthy tang can fight off parasites. A group of stressed ones would be more likely to succumb. You might post over in the disease forum for some thoughts.

You might also look here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

Wolverine
09/16/2009, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15710556#post15710556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
It is no fun to have to find a home for a fish when it outgrows a tank.

It's also no fun to have to tear apart your tank to catch one, which happens on occasion.

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15711999#post15711999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
If you are having issues with parasites (are you sure it is ich?), I would be extremely leary about adding a group of tangs. A healthy tang can fight off parasites. A group of stressed ones would be more likely to succumb. You might post over in the disease forum for some thoughts.

You might also look here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

I am not really having issues. I know ich is in the system. I've been using garlic with my food for about 8 months now, and all my fish (especially my atlantic blue tang) have looked and acted extremely healthy.

They all seem perfectly fine (so long as they eat :))

My only two options for "treating" the ich is to either get them out of the tank first, or using a UV sterilizer. Both of which I cannot/do not want to do.

I really hope I'm not coming off as lazy or anything. I just have my reasons. I suppose that if I keep up what I've been doing for the past 8 months, everything will be alright.

myerst2
09/16/2009, 04:32 PM
This is how I introduced and had success adding several tangs in one display. Try and use different genus, species, color, and size. If you don't want to add them all at once, which I don't recommend unless you have multiple QT's for the fish. Ideally if wanting multiple tangs I would a larger more passive tang and later add the smaller more aggressive tang. If adding them all at once they will fisht a bit and having multiple stressed fish in a display at the same time is asking for trouble. I had a 4" PBT and later added a 8"+ black tang. I know PBT's are far more agressive but this was a whale of a black tang. Didn't matter, I did different genus, species, color, and size. MY PBT no likey new guy on the block and didn't want anyone else eating his nori. So I put up a egg crate barrier in b/w the two and kept it that way for a coupel of weeks. I tell you that egg crate got tail whipped like no other. All was fine when I removed the egg crate. Hope this helps and good luck. T A couple of pics below. I really love PBTs!!!
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/tangs/IMG_3480.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/tangs/IMG_3994.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/tangs/IMG_3811-1.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/tangs/IMG_3879.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/myerst22/tangs/IMG_3917.jpg

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 06:10 PM
Wow awesome looking powder blue Myerst.

The only species that will be the same will be the NEW yellow and scopas tangs. Right now I have an Acanthurus (atlantic blue tang) and thats it.

So what I have is:

Will be adding:
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis (Chevron)
Zebrasoma flavescens (Yellow)
Zebrasoma scopas (Scopas)

Although they are different species, they all look quite similar (at least to me).

So would you recommend me doing the whole eggcrate thing? I was thinking about putting them each in their own strawberry basket like I did with my maroon clownfish I added (which ended with great results after 2 days).

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 07:01 PM
Well that sure stinks.. Liveaquaria sold out of Chevron Tangs :(

erbgo
09/16/2009, 07:57 PM
I have a 5" hipo tang a 4" yellow tang a 5-6" gold rim tang and a 8" blond naso tang have added all seperate did add a power blue but it did not make it and could not get it out and save it sad.and also in my 220 I have a 4" maroon clown a 2and a 1/2 year old cleaner wrasse 2 manderins a lemon peel a coral beauty 3 pj cardnals a coral halk a banded coral shrimp a 14" serpent star and a 3" algee blennie then all the corals

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 07:59 PM
Wow you added them all separately with no trouble (but the powder blue)?

I guess most of it is just luck, and the way your fish behave.

erbgo
09/16/2009, 08:01 PM
yes it is a lot of luck and love

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 08:09 PM
I think tomorrow I'm gonna go for it and make the purchase for all of the tangs. (found someone else with the chevron)

Wish me LUCK (I sure am gonna need it).

You guys think I should add them all and see what happens or put them in their own strawberry baskets?

erbgo
09/16/2009, 08:17 PM
if you can put them in baskets till dark can you catch the one you have I would put that one in also and release him last

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah I was thinking about trying that out. I dont think I'm gonna be able to catch him, but I've got plenty of time to try tomorrow. The fish will be coming on Friday, so I've got a whole day to try lol. I'll see what I can do.

If I cant catch him though, what do you think? Just release them all right away?

erbgo
09/16/2009, 08:29 PM
well that would be good then wait for the one that has been in there release him later give the others time to find hideing space in case they need them

Black Mammoth
09/16/2009, 08:31 PM
It is hard to say until you try. Every fish has different personalities. Remember the "rules" you read are general guidelines. It is the general rule of thumb.

I have a 8' tank (325g) and I have 4 tangs. Powder Blue, Achilles, Hippo, and a Sohal. I added the Sohal last and in the dark because of their known aggression. Before I added the Sohal, all the tangs got a long. Every once and awhile, the PBT would go after the Hippo. But it wasn't anything serious. About 1 - 2 months after I added the Sohal, he turned aggressive to the Hippo. That is the only fish he goes after. The Hippo is on the smaller size and never bothers anyone. I'm not sure what his problem is with him. I will probably have to remove the Sohal because when the Hippo gets bigger, he probably won't be able to hide as easily and that might be the end of him.

They say not to keep more than 1 Acanthurus in a tank. I have 3 that get along fine. It's just the Hippo that's having issues with the Sohal. They also say not to keep other tangs or a Bellus with a Sohal because he'll kill them. Well he might kill the Hippo one day. But he doesn't even look at the Bellus.

Again, they are general rules. That's why there is the category reef safe with caution ;)

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah I understand. Which is why I'm hoping luck is on my side lol.

So i'll try to catch the atlantic blue tang tomorrow.

But if I cant get a hold of him to put in the strawberry basket, what should I do as far as introducing the other tangs to the tank?

Kdocimo90
09/16/2009, 11:23 PM
Well I just bit the bullet and bought the Chevron tang from Saltwaterfish.com

I asked them to send me the largest chevron they have (whereas it is listed as 1-2"). I just didnt wanna miss out on another chevron. They only had 2 left in stock before I bought it.

I also just went ahead and bought the other order with the other tangs (and other goodies I've got coming too :))

I figured that I'd be better off if they were shipped on the same day.

With the money I'm spending (while just spending a crap load on college books), I'm hoping this will all work out

Kdocimo90
09/17/2009, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15713935#post15713935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
Yeah I understand. Which is why I'm hoping luck is on my side lol.

So i'll try to catch the atlantic blue tang tomorrow.

But if I cant get a hold of him to put in the strawberry basket, what should I do as far as introducing the other tangs to the tank?

Kdocimo90
09/17/2009, 06:05 PM
Well no luck catching the tang.

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

Kdocimo90
09/17/2009, 06:14 PM
of course this shows up the day after i buy a small chevron?!@#R?#FQ#

http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=71451

xxtriggermanxx
09/17/2009, 11:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718674#post15718674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
of course this shows up the day after i buy a small chevron?!@#R?#FQ#

http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=71451

Don't sweat it ! if yours is smaller , it will stay more colorful longer.

Kdocimo90
09/17/2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah I just remembered that they look much cooler as juveniles.

Thanks triggerman :)

Kdocimo90
09/17/2009, 11:31 PM
you have to admit it though. The one in the DD was very cool looking!

RandalB
09/18/2009, 12:03 AM
My 240-

Atlantic Blue
Chevron
Hippo
Yellow
Powder Brown

I also have a sailfin, but he's in a different tank 'till he grows up some (2.5")

No aggression at all in the 240, they all school together...

I added in pairs (Not planned, they just cleared QT that way..) except the PBT, he went in alone.

RandalB

Kdocimo90
09/18/2009, 12:15 AM
Wow RandalB Thats great to hear. them schooling together must be an awesome site to see.

I hope I have the same luck as you.

Kevin

lman
09/18/2009, 02:54 PM
I have a number of tangs that get together most of the time (300 gal). Black, Naso, Chocolate, Hippo, tomani, PBT. I added them one at a time, but would have added them all together. Built a divider in the tank so they would get used to each other.

Add them all in at one time if you can and it should work, but depends on the fish.

Kdocimo90
09/19/2009, 09:05 PM
Well all is going well with the tangs. If you wanna take a look at some (terrible) pictures, here's my Tank Thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15728863#post15728863

Everyone seems to be getting along well (or at least better than I thought).

I just added them all into the tank without seperating them or anything. When acclimating them all, the scopas was bullying the yellow a bit (even though the yellow tang is about twice as big). The yellow tang seems the be the peaceful one. He got bullied by both the larger tangs but sort of just ignored them.

The Chevron (much smaller than I wanted) isnt being bother by ANYONE.

The Yellow Tang was being bullied by the Atlantic Blue Tang, but not fighting back at all yesterday, but today they're perfectly fine. (I think the Atlantic Tang gave up bullying him).

The Scopas Tang was being bullied by the Atlantic blue tang, so he hid all day yesterday, but has been out today. He still was being bullied a little, but nothing serious.

Everything seems great, and thank you all for your help.

lman
09/20/2009, 06:38 AM
I had similar problems when I introduced the PBT. To calm them down I kept feeding them Nori until (about 1-2 sheets per day). they occasionally now will bully each other but in general get along great. The Nori trick might help.

Lightsluvr
10/09/2009, 12:59 PM
Here is a "Tang-tainer" constructed by pwhitby (TOTM 10/2008) to introduce fish into the display tank after they have been in QT. (begins with post #345)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423726&page=14

It hangs in the DT and allows the old and new fish to observe each other for as long as it takes to overcome any aggressive behaviour...

One way to introduce one new tang at a time with minimal stress to all occupants...

LL

Eric the half-bee
10/09/2009, 10:26 PM
Ok, in my group, I have from largest to smallest. 8" vlamingi, 7.5" blonde naso, 2 sailfins, 2 purples, 1 yellow, atlantic blue, scopas, chevron, orange shoulder, and hippo. I've had and lost-1 kole, 1 clown, 1 achilles, 1 sohal, 2 PBT . I'm not giving up on the sohal or achilles. My mistake was adding specimens that were under 5".

Stanley-Reefer
10/09/2009, 11:28 PM
http://i43.*******.com/5kmwt3.jpg
Vlamangii
eibilii mimic
sailfin
yellow
regal
all together 2 years

http://i35.*******.com/fa6848.jpg
sohal
naso
yellow
purple
pbt
together for a year now...

Lightsluvr
10/10/2009, 05:39 AM

sohal
naso
yellow
purple
pbt
together for a year now...

That tang on the right side of the above picture - down near the sandbed...is that a Blond Naso?

LL

Lightsluvr
10/10/2009, 05:46 AM
Here are the 12" Vlamingi (with streamers), 4" Yellow and 6" Magnificent Foxface all co-existing nicely:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/FTS0930F.jpg

In the same tank are a 4" Blue Hippo and 4" Red Sea DesJardins (in the cave):
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/chrly01.jpg

and a very healthy CBB:
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/lightsluvr/Copperband1.jpg

Thinking about adding a 5-6" male Blond Naso to complete our tang selection...

LL

Stanley-Reefer
10/10/2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it's a blonde...here's a couple more of it..

http://i36.*******.com/ezpi4n.jpg
http://i42.*******.com/2qm3k20.jpg

mattsilvester
10/10/2009, 10:04 AM
I have 4 tangs in my tank:
Powder Blue
Yellow
Naso
Purple

I do not know if I am "right" or "wrong", and I generally feel that of all the "aggressive" fish that are kept in home aquaria that the agression of tangs is over rated...... ie. putting 4 tangs in a 240 is no where near in the same ball park as 4 angels in a 240..... What I do think however is that the space required for tangs is somewhat under estimated (particularly the "quick" ones i.e. the "heads up" cruisers as oppose to the "head down" grazers).

In my opinion, and this based purely on my intermediate level of expereince having kept various tangs species in different combinations in dfferent tanks between 180 and 240 gals, over the last 10+ years, the three "rules of thumb" should be applied:

(1) Allow 4 sq. ft. (i.e. 24"x24") per tang.
(2) The tank should be 6-8 times as long as the expected adult size of the fish.
(3) Closely related, or hyper aggressive species should not be mixed.

These rules of thumb should be applied with a degree of comon sense. i.e.
-the 4 tangs should not all be very large species like an orange shoulder, sailfin, naso, and sohal........
- some species are obvisouly going to be high risk when mixing i.e. a red sea sailfin and a "standard" sailfin, or a power blue with a powder brown......
- it assumes standard sized tanks..... i.e. a 48"x48" footprint is not a standard shape.

Finally, the rules should be applied conservatively...... 90" x 24" might be "nearly big enough" for 4 tangs...... 84"x24" is not.......

HTH - as I say, these is only the rules according to mattsilvester...... it is based on my own opinion and experience and has no scientific backing or otherwise...... follow them at your own peril :D ..... but they have served me well.

Lightsluvr
10/10/2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, it's a blonde...here's a couple more of it..
http://i42.*******.com/2qm3k20.jpg

OMG! Look how fat and healthy he looks!

LL

Stanley-Reefer
10/11/2009, 06:06 AM
He likes to eat! Funny thing is that he loves the small NLS pellets but won't eat the 3mm ones. He will only eat Hikari A pellets that are about 3mm. He/the rest love seaweed sheets every other day (important for red/brown with nasos) pe mysis, rods, ON RDF 1-2, and spirulina...

My butterflies tear up som ON seaweed too!!!

Nobody eats till the sohal says they can though:eek1:

NexDog
10/11/2009, 07:27 PM
Stanley-Reefer - could I get a complete stock list? And would like to know more about that Sohal. I would love to add a Clown Tang which has a similar temperament. Also how big is your tank?

NexDog
10/11/2009, 07:30 PM
I see it's a 175g but is that 6'? What else is in there apart from the Sohal, Naso, Yellow, Purple and PBT?

Stanley-Reefer
10/12/2009, 04:28 PM
nexdog my 175 is 6' long
Fishlist"
PBT, yellow, purple, sohal, blonde naso
2 black percs
1 radiant wrasse
1 solarensis wrasse
1 falco hawkfish
1 orange spotted rabbit
3 pyramids
1 large 5" goby
1 fridmani
3 bangaiis
1 lamark angel
1 coral beauty angel
1 lawnmower blenny
60-80 assorted hermits/snails
4 serpent/brittle stars
1 cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
The sohal is one mean mother. He's starting to grow. The fish he chases most is the other acanthrus the pbt. The yellow and purple go after him sometimes. The naso only dislikes the solarensis and the lamark backs down from nobody. The sohal has cut the pyramids at times but they healed up without problem. The sohal also had a scale from the large radiant in his spine one day too, but I couldn't tell where it came from the the wrasses body.
FTS from last week...

NexDog
10/12/2009, 05:55 PM
Outstanding. :)

46bfinGA
10/12/2009, 07:51 PM
I have 9 tangs in my 600 gallon currently.... Planning on 3-4 more at some point.

Here is what is currently in the tank:

1. Chocolate Mimic Tang 4"
2. Scopas Tang 3"
3. Orange Shoulder Tang 6"
4. Sailfin Tang 5"
5. Maculiceps Tang 4"
6. Regal Tang 4"
7. Two Spot Bristletooth Tang 3"
8. Male Blonde Naso 8"
9. Vlamingi Tang 8"

Future additions:

1. Chevron Tang
2. Unicorn Tang
3. Female Blonde Naso
4. Achilles/Gold Rim Hybrid (Last Addition)

kintaro
10/13/2009, 09:58 AM
hi

i got 11 big tangs ehere under several acanthurus species in a 450g tank never had a problem but its unpredicteble to be honest but if there have lots of space it should be alright

rgds
yvan:wave:

46bfinGA
10/13/2009, 09:54 PM
hi

i got 11 big tangs ehere under several acanthurus species in a 450g tank never had a problem but its unpredicteble to be honest but if there have lots of space it should be alright

rgds
yvan:wave:

The fish in your Avatar is Sweet!

kintaro
10/14/2009, 05:36 AM
The fish in your Avatar is Sweet!

its an acanthurus bariene i have this one in my tank ,thanks for the compliment

rgds
yvan:lolspin: