PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here made mods to there HOB protein skimmer

Caetano_Thiago
09/14/2009, 11:15 PM
my mods are not working. Im basing my design off a fellow reefer that lives near my area. i have a Aquarium systems HOB PS. He also has the same. i bought a pump from him because the stock one, i felt was just to weak. then i went to home depot bought some hosing and made a very tight connection. i also bought a air pump. that will force feed air into the pump intake, with that there is a bypass valve that i can control the amount of air being pushed in, as not to flood the pump. but its still not working. my only guess now would be the pump he assured me would work because he used it b4 is not strong enough. :( If you have done something similar to this. please give me your words of wisdom. i just want to take this prob off my list so i can start working on my chiller. <br>http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/thiago_caetano/0914091502.jpg<br>http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/thiago_caetano/downsized_0914091502a.jpg<br>http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/thiago_caetano/downsized_0914091502b.jpg

Caetano_Thiago
09/15/2009, 09:04 AM
nobody then.... :(

cody6766
09/15/2009, 10:44 AM
is your air pump force-feeding the venturi on the skimmer's intake pump?
I tried that with my CSS65 and it didn't work. I drilled near the bottom of the skimmer and put in an airline connected to the biggest air pump I could find. I then put a wood air block on the inside of the skimmer and use that to supplement the skimmer's venturi. It's not ideal, but it works better than before. You could look into a recirculation mod too, where you have a pump pulling water from the top of the skimmer and blowing it back into the bottom. This pump would suck air just like your main pump. You do run the risk of breaking your skimmer body with this mod though.

Caetano_Thiago
09/15/2009, 03:57 PM
yah its force-feeding into the skimmers pump. that lil hose you see right there is for the air pump. dont know about if want to comprise the structure of the skimmer. and im not a big fan of air stones. :(

browntrout
09/15/2009, 04:08 PM
That HOB skimmer you have is a pile-o-crap. Stop wasting your time and just buy a CPR bak pak or like model.

reeftivo
09/16/2009, 03:33 PM
more air? 1) easy=mesh mod-enkemat! or
2) get a better skimmer! I don't recommend Aqua C's
IMO best HOB skimmers are: Warner marine H2X
deltec mce300 or 600 HOB
octo BH100 HOB, 800 or DBH300F recirc skimmer
bermuda rogue
ferrari of HOB ATB multi
KZ's aren't bad either

addicted2reefin
09/16/2009, 06:59 PM
that pump u have is not a needlewheel. its and odysea pump right? also the airpump is probably not strong enough. run the pump full force and see what happens

buddy381
09/16/2009, 07:41 PM
take off the air pump and do 2 things....mesh mod the original pump with a bioball(maxijet pump)......that alone will provide the best enhancement to the skimmer.....then replace the air valve with something from home depot....this will allow you to control the proper mixture of water and air so that you get the best results....maybe do a search for seaclone mods and you should be able to find them...my skimmer was 3-4 times better with these 2 mods....mainly the bioball mod.