PDA

View Full Version : 2 part consumption question

cveverly
09/15/2009, 06:55 AM
Is it abnormal to dose more of the calcium than the alkalinity or should they match? If I dose even amounts my Alk gets to high (17-18). I am using the BRS recipe 1 two part mix. My PH is running around 8.26 - 8.29.

tmz
09/15/2009, 07:30 AM
If those numbers are sure measures, you may be getting some precipitation of calcium carbonate . The cause would be overdosing alkalinity.
It is not normal for calcium to deplete faster than alkalinity. Each 20ppm of calcium consumed takes 2.9dkh(1meq/l) along with it.

bertoni
09/15/2009, 09:13 AM
Most tanks should consume approximately equal amounts of both supplements. I would suggest that alkalinity be the guide for dosing. I'd measure calcium only once or twice a month. There's enough noise in calcium test kits that using the calcium level as a guide will cause problems.

David Grigor
09/15/2009, 09:38 AM
Like others have said, the will be some variation. Possible Precipitate and the accuracy of your dosing pumps ( or manual daily measurements ) are probably the bigger contributors. When mixing the 2 part the actual water content of the calcium chloride will vary depending on how it's stored along with the accuracy ( or lack thereof ) in measuring.

Mine was th opposite situation. Mine would gradually drift upwards over a 4-6 month period. I would have just stop dosing CA for a week or two to get back inline.

cveverly
09/15/2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I will cut back equally on both and monitor to see what the result is.

Toddrtrex
09/15/2009, 01:34 PM
Have you tested you water change water? Wonder if your salt mix has a high Alk level (( or low Cal )) that is throwing things off.

cveverly
09/15/2009, 03:04 PM
The water change water is a little low in calc. I raise it before I add it to the tank.