PDA

View Full Version : New to sps finally! Quick question

lotusstar
09/15/2009, 10:21 PM
Hey everyone. Well after lots of research and patiently watching my tank and parameters I have finally taken the plunge and ordered some sps frags. I can't wait to finally get them in my tank and get pictures of my tank with corals in it.
Here's my question, I know lots of people use combination of supplemental lights and what not but I don't have a canopy, yet. Want to build one here eventually bt for right now I just have a 400watt mh light over my 92g Corner tank. I don't have any supplemental light cause without a canopy it would look ugly and I really want the asthetic look clean. Beside the point, I digress. My question is what sort of photo period should I go with to not harm the corals in the beginning and how should I adjust it to get maximum growth potential? Currently I have a photo period of 6 1/2 hours. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks everyone! Wish me luck.

sedorusc
09/16/2009, 07:18 AM
alot of people just slowly tweek it to what works. I have my 250 on for 8 hours a day because I don't have any supplemental.

Reef Bass
09/16/2009, 07:25 AM
I have 2 400w MHs and T5 actinics over my 24" deep 100g.

With a 400w MH, I recommend starting the frags on the bottom of your tank with your current photoperiod. Then weekly add 1/2 hour to your photoperiod until your up to at least 8 hours. Then move the frags up in the tank to their final positions.

Everyone has their opinion on the ideal photoperiod. I know that in my tank, I get the best color when I run my MHs 9-10 hours a day with an additional hour of actinics on each end (before and after MHs).

lotusstar
09/16/2009, 11:13 AM
Awesome thanks for the advice