PDA

View Full Version : Tunze (controllable or GPH) what should I look for

lilchris
09/16/2009, 08:44 AM
I am looking to upgrade my powerheads. I currently have 2 Maxi jet 1200 w/ sure flow kits. I want to try some other type of powerhead. I am looking at the Tunzes. I am debating on if I should get the Tunze Turbelle nanostream controllable 6055 and build on that in the future, or should I get the NON controllable tunze turbelle stream2 6085. I am trying to see if the controllable feature of the nano stream will outwieght the amount of flow that the 6085 would put out.
What are some thoughts???? Suggestions.

Please do not say get a vortech pump... unless you can get me one for $200 (new/slightly used)

Tony Romano
09/16/2009, 09:19 AM
Do controllable.

Cute child!

lilchris
09/16/2009, 10:38 AM
Can I connect the 6085 to my RK2 to control the flow?

Tony Romano
09/16/2009, 12:44 PM
I think so, but do not know for sure

lilchris
09/16/2009, 01:03 PM
Tony R. What are you using for yout 90 gallon? Tha is what I have.

chessmanmark
09/16/2009, 01:26 PM
I'm not current on the Tunze products. I bought my Stream in 2005 with the single controller. Latter I added a nano stream which I modded for more flow. I don't think I would trade a Stream 2 for a nano stream controllable or not, but having that wave action is nice to look at when your LPS is swaying back and forth.

lilchris
09/16/2009, 05:59 PM
^^^

DT's_Reef
09/16/2009, 09:49 PM
You might consider getting a Tunze Nano Wavebox.

DGee
09/16/2009, 10:23 PM
Screw the Tunze and get a Vortech! I can control the Tunze's on my Apex controller but I honestly think Tunze products are over rated and over priced for what they are. I'll never invest in another Tunze product again.

Plus the Vortech's take up a lot less tank space, are easy to hide and produce no added heat to the tank.

DT's_Reef
09/17/2009, 09:56 AM
Hehe....the Tunze vs. Vortech debate. I've bought Vortech and Tunze, and in the end stuck with Tunze. It's really a personal thing and there are lots of threads on RC debating which is best.

Given my personal experience with Vortech, they tend not to be stable long-term, while my Tunze pumps have. I received excellent customer service from both.

As far as price is concerned, they both are high cost.

lilchris
09/17/2009, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15714425#post15714425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DGee
Screw the Tunze and get a Vortech! I can control the Tunze's on my Apex controller but I honestly think Tunze products are over rated and over priced for what they are. I'll never invest in another Tunze product again.

Plus the Vortech's take up a lot less tank space, are easy to hide and produce no added heat to the tank.

Please read the last statement in the original post.

lilchris
09/17/2009, 10:51 AM
DGEE,
I find your comment some what amusing. (nothing personal) It is amazing how time and the evolution of technology can change a person mindset about a product. When I first got into this hobby, in 06, the craze concerning water movement was the TUNZE Turbelle Streams. Now only a few years later, the vortech is the king. Honestly, I think they are both WAY over priced. I am willing to try out a Tunze because I have a little extra cash. Over the years I guess they have proved their worth so I will give one a shot. I will not let my wife know what I paid for it though. She knows that Tunzes are crazy expensive and I will have to tell her that I got it used from this site. What is going to be the next big thing in Saltwater Aquria????????? A completely wireless power head. how much is that going to cost, our right leg.

DGee
09/17/2009, 10:55 AM
Haha, Sorry I kinda skimmed over the thread and I guess I missed that part. I agree with DT that it is a personal choice. I've had both and just happen to have great luck with the Vortech's.

Anyways, an MP10 will move just as much water as the 6055 and they are $199 from most places online...

dieselab
09/17/2009, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15714425#post15714425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DGee

vortech's takes up less space for sure and performs at the same level as the tunze until they randoming fall off or seize for no apparant reason. I trade reliablility over cosmetic any day for a pump.

DGee
09/17/2009, 11:01 AM
Ahh, I couldn't agree more! All of these products are over priced. But people pay it so companies keep raising their prices. I won't even get into the debate about the margins people are making on their products, look at skimmers these days!

I feel like comparing the tunze and the vortech is like comparing apples to apples really. I''ve been in the hobby for quite some time and owned a lot of tunze products and I feel like the quality has actually diminished over the years and the prices have still gone up. So I gave the vortech a try and I was happy to sell my Tunze's.

Tony Romano
09/17/2009, 09:23 PM
Hydor Koralia on redsea wave maker. (low flow tank)

I use 2 nano Tunzes, 2 big Tunzes, and a MP40. I also have a couple of old fake Tunzes on a 15 min on\off cycle pushing water under back of rock.

I all honesty I think placement of rock in center island type setup is key. Additionally avoiding any flat spots helps a bunch. Last I have taken to doing lots of manual spot cleaning with various pumps to compensate for my bad aquascaping. I have corals that are over 10 years old and 2 zillion sponges, I hate to touch anything!

lilchris
09/18/2009, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15716403#post15716403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DGee
Haha, Sorry I kinda skimmed over the thread and I guess I missed that part. I agree with DT that it is a personal choice. I've had both and just happen to have great luck with the Vortech's.

Anyways, an MP10 will move just as much water as the 6055 and they are $199 from most places online...

No problem sir,
You have a right to have your personal choice. (respect) I looked at the MP10 as well. I noticed that it had the same out put as the 6055. I am thinking of getting them both and trying them out.

jmoney
09/18/2009, 03:39 PM
Thats a good idea I would like to know which one in the end you would go for

mattyg
09/18/2009, 05:20 PM
I have 2 X tunze 6085's and a tunze nano wavebox, an absolutely love the flow in my tank(90 gallon AGA - 48" x 18" x 24"). Both 6085's are pointed to the center creating crashing flows of water, added to the nano wavebox creates tons of flow. The wavebox creates flow down inside the rocks and corals that I couldn't get in my crowded tank with other setups.
I would love to replace 6085's with controllable 2 X 6105's or 4 X 6055's and have a little more random, but another $1000.
I tried a vortech mp40w first and loved the flow but hated the noise and cables attached to the side of my 3 side viewable tank. I wish the vortechs worked for my setup, but didn't.
Another thing about tunzes that I like is if you get lazy and don't clean them, they don't lose much flow, are easy to clean and easy to mount and adjust. Just my experiences, hope it helps.

markandkristen
09/19/2009, 02:42 PM
pm sent lilchris