PDA

View Full Version : Oh My!! Eggs!

pteam
09/16/2009, 06:32 PM
This evening I came to discover that my Clowns have laid eggs! Very exciting although the problem is that they decided to lay them in the corner of my tank on the glass. After reading a little online they appear to have been laid recently, bright orange in color. What to do now? Any suggestions?

skippy2
09/16/2009, 06:51 PM
It's too late to do anything now. They will be coral and fish food.

MyTank
09/16/2009, 07:08 PM
watch them after the lights go off, you can siphon them into a fry tank once they hatch

Toddrtrex
09/16/2009, 07:29 PM
Like Peggy said, there really isn't anything you can do now. If you are really interested raising the fry I suggest picking up Joyce Wilkerson's book. Going to need a separate tank to raise the fry in, and you will need to raise "rots" to feed them.

If you are going to do this I would also suggest putting in a ceramic tile in the tank, and slowly move it closer to where they spawn. But, I wouldn't attempt that for about a month -- just so the clowns can get on a regular spawning cycle -- which should be about every 2 weeks.

Also, don't be too surprised if they end up eating this batch of eggs - it is fairly common for the first batch not to work out.

pteam
09/17/2009, 12:03 AM
Ok couple things. They laid the eggs on the corner of the glass, away from the rock. They guard it pretty well and I dont think other fish will get to eat it while its still attached. I could setup another tank I have some empty tanks with no water laying around. Also when they do hatch, if successful could I put them back into the tank once big enough? Note that my clowns have killed other clowns of a different breed when I bought the different breed. Would they kill their own? What would I do with the babies? Since theyre attached to glass and not rock should I wait for them to hatch or try to scoop them out before?

Also if I leave them in the main tank what will happen? Will they get eaten or sucked into the filter? Is there any chance any will survive in the main tank on their own? How often will they lay eggs, is this gonna happen every month to the point I could have hundreds? lol

landlord
09/17/2009, 04:39 AM
They will hatch in 8 to 10 days. It happens about an hour after the lights go out. The babies are super tiny and will ubdoubtedly get swept into your filtration. Your clowns will most likely lay another batch about a day or two later and the process will repeat unless something changes in their little world. If you are interested in successfully raising a batch of them head over to the breeders forum, pick a breeding thread where someone has done it and read. The information is all there to get started from what to get, where to get it, and how to do it.

Have Fun

Kurt

wrott
09/17/2009, 05:04 AM
Most pairs of clowns have babies every month. They are good plankton for the fish and corals. Unless you want to invest many $$ and a lot of time just let it be. You can view the babies at night w/ a flash light, they will congregate toward the light, but will be eaten after 1-2 days--so check after lights out every night after the eggs are translucent. As mentioned, you can time the hatch to the day.

clownaround2
09/17/2009, 08:09 PM
I agree with landlord, mine do that all the time. Lay eggs, hatch, get swept away or eaten by other fish. 1 day later new eggs... First thought about raising them,too. But after reading up on it, it is a lot of work.