PDA

View Full Version : Distance between bulkhead holes?

yoki32
09/16/2009, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

I wanted everyone's opinion on the back of my future aquarium. This will be my first time ever drilling holes for bulkheads and I wanna make sure that my distance between holes is fine before I do anything wrong. See enclosed plan below.

The thickness of my glass is 5mm. My bulkheads for the three standpipes are 1" each therefore my holes width are 1-3/4". I've decided to give 2" distance between holes and border of glass. Is that too much?

Also, for my return, should I go with a 1" bulkhead hole or something smaller?

Finally, how width should my overflow box be? Should it cover 3/4 of the width of the aquarium?

I appreciate anyone's help over this. :rollface:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/225739aquarium_back-med.gif

uncleof6
09/16/2009, 07:59 PM
Minimum safe distance is 1 x the hole diameter, so your holes need to be 1/4" lower on the panel. Your horizontal spacing is fine. I would run the return up over the back of the tank (one less hole to drill.)

The pipe size for the return is largely dependent on what the return pump wants. Mag pumps want 1.5" return lines.

The most efficient overflow is full length. "Near" coast to coast, is a satisfactory compromise, to accommodate returns at the ends of the overflow.

Regards,

Jim

scottsr
09/16/2009, 09:26 PM
Is there a thread about DIY coast to coast overflow? I have looked here and there, I have not found it.

cutnup
09/16/2009, 09:50 PM
click my red house. I did it on my tank and there is also a link on there to show the beananimal C2C overflow and standpipes. It is a great setup. I wouldn't have a tank without it from now on...

troylee
09/16/2009, 10:13 PM
Check out beananimals failsafe thread there is tons of coast to coast..

yoki32
09/17/2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the great advice!!! Much appreciated!

One last question: How can I know which return pump I would need. I am referring to bean's Overflow System. He mentions that he gets 2000 gph from this system. Does that mean I need to get a pump like Mag 2400?

uncleof6
09/17/2009, 10:21 PM
Personally, I would not use a submersible pump at those flow rates. I'd use a snapper or a dart.

How much flow does your tank need? That is what determines the return pump size. With 1" drain pipes (top to bottom) I would keep the flow ~1000 gph after headloss. If the dimensions above, indicate your tank size, Then I don't think you will be needing 1000 gph. As long as the drain can handle more than you throw at it, it will be fine. How much flow? I suggest 10 x total system volume for sump return. Some argue with that, but I don't listen anymore... unless what they are saying is anecdotal... chuckles...

Regards,

Jim

yoki32
09/19/2009, 10:02 AM
Well, my total system will approximately be 48 gallons. (24 gallon aquarium and +- 24 gallon sump. Does that mean that I need to get a return pump at around 480-500gph? Is that more than enough? I was looking at the Reeflo Snapper & Dart and it seems way too much for my system and the size of the pump would not fit in my furniture with the sump. I was looking at lower return pumps and noticed the BlueLine 40 HD-X (http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/products/water_pump/hd.html)
What do you think? And how about the quality of the pump? Is it noisy?

Appreciate your expertise over this.

uncleof6
09/19/2009, 10:18 AM
480 - 500 gph after headloss will be fine for your system. Never ran a blueline pump, however have run iwaki, gen-x, and little giant pumps, and they are all fairly noisy by my standards, and the snapper and dart are way too much pump for this system.

Regards,

Jim

brackishdude
09/22/2009, 09:36 PM
THe Calfo thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=473152&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

COmbine it with the triple drain method described in beananimal's thread, and you're good to go

davilae1
01/05/2013, 02:27 AM
Thanks allot very helpful, am seting my new 100gal. corner tank.