PDA

View Full Version : Elegance Coral...Mistake?

1boatnut
09/17/2009, 02:07 PM
Ok,I did something I normally don't do.Impulse buy.
Today I purchased a Elegance Coral,and the LFS told me they were hardy and relative easy to take care of.
I come home and googled it,and now seem to be finding out that at 1 time these were a hardy coral,but now not so much.
Die off for no reason after 2-3 months

I was also told they were a peaceful coral,and everything I have read so far states otherwise.

Anybody have any info/insight or experience the can share.

Did I just make a big mistake?

smoothdog
09/17/2009, 03:17 PM
I this an aussie elegance? They apparently aren't susceptible to the bacteria that plagued these. Even if not I believe the survival rate has gotten better recently. As far as being peaceful, treat these like an anemone that can't move, they will likely kill any coral tissue they touch and have quite a reach with sweepers but at least they can't roam around the tank taking stuff out.

smoothdog
09/17/2009, 03:20 PM
oh, and they are pretty easy to care for if healthy to begin with and, in my opinion, quite attractive and worth clearing a spot for.

1boatnut
09/17/2009, 03:27 PM
smoothdog,
Thanks a heap for the reply.
I am/was seriously going to go back to the LFS and tell them I wanted a different coral.
I am not sure if it Australian or not. They just got it in yesterday,and it looked beautiful.

Do you know if it is only agressive towards corals?
The reason I ask is I was reading on another forum where a fungia plate coral ( the other coral I was going to buy today) ate the guy's goby.
I have 2 gobies in the tank. A yellow and a black

1boatnut
09/17/2009, 03:34 PM
oh,and I just called the LPS who told me it was most likely from indonesia,as he has not had these types of corals come in from Australia for about the last 6 months

chiclet
09/19/2009, 07:13 AM
the guy with the plate n the goby, that is a rarity!!!! Fish are far too fast ( usually) to get eaten by any coral. Trust me if you want a plate coral get it. Do not worry about your fish

pisces4u
09/19/2009, 09:47 AM
Elegance can be pretty aggressive and hungry. There was a post a while ago where someone had a very large elegance that would reach out and pluck snails off the glass to eat them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed a fish, hermit, snail, or anything else close enough to their tentacles.