PDA

View Full Version : Mating...when?

jrod11
09/18/2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have had a pair of true percs for about together for about 8 months now.

They seem to be very happy in my RBTA together. The one that I had first is full grown and the one that I added second was very small when I first put him in there. He still is about half the size of the first one.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of when I could potentially see some mating? They share the RBTA and rub up against eachother all day long. Is the smaller one not mature enough?

ILLiDaN
09/18/2009, 10:33 AM
The quickest a pair would spawn would be at around 18 months, and that assuming they are happy good water conditions and are being fed enough to be able to spawn

jrod11
09/18/2009, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15721993#post15721993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILLiDaN
The quickest a pair would spawn would be at around 18 months, and that assuming they are happy good water conditions and are being fed enough to be able to spawn

Great! Thanks for the input. I'm assuming i am on the right track since they seem so happy together. Time to just play the waiting game.

are there any threads on how to set up a grow tank for the fry?

NirvanaFan
09/18/2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not so sure about it being 18 months. I've heard of people getting them to spawn at around 12 months. Check out the breeding forum here on RC, and pick up "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. There is tons of info in both of those resources.

ExtremeClownfish
09/18/2009, 11:30 AM
I'd say 18 months is a realistic goal. There will always be exceptions of course

DeathWish302
09/18/2009, 11:51 AM
+1 Joyce's Clownfish book.

As for spawning, I've had a pair of tomato clowns spawning in about 6 months. The male went carpet surfing and I'm on mate no. 2 and he (she) appears to be changing to female as the first 'replacement' mate did. If you have a true bonded pair, then your making headway. Only time will tell with these peculiar fish.