PDA

View Full Version : GFO keeps binding no matter what I do?

pjewett
09/18/2009, 01:47 PM
Hi all

I have the single BRS GFO reactor and I run both Carbon and GFO (Granules) in it. I'm using the MJ 900 and I've only had it set up on my new 55 gallon for just under a week. I've been peeking at it DAILY and making adjustments to be sure just the surface is tumbling (maybe a tad higher).

As of yesterday I can't get but one small part of the entire GFO volume to tumble at all and the rest is still even turned all they way up.

It's getting expensive to dump this and try again and again.

Any advice?

I've turned the whole thing off for now as I assumed if it continued to solidify that I might be risking a mess if things got bunged up.

impur
09/18/2009, 04:53 PM
Have you tried just running GFO in it?

spazthecat
09/18/2009, 07:02 PM
If you turn the pump off, can you see the whole mass of it settle/sink a bit? If so, I think it's fine.

I don't think it is critical that the entire top layer be "simmering" as long as there is enough water throughout to keep it from forming a rock.

spazthecat
09/18/2009, 07:02 PM
If you turn the pump off, can you see the whole mass of it settle/sink a bit? If so, I think it's fine.

I don't think it is critical that the entire top layer be "simmering" as long as there is enough water throughout to keep it from forming a rock.

pjewett
09/18/2009, 07:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15724665#post15724665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spazthecat

Yes that's exactly what happens. Makes me nervous that it will all clog when I'm at work..burst and make a mess everywhere.

: /

pjewett
09/19/2009, 07:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15724022#post15724022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by impur
Have you tried just running GFO in it?

no but i guess i could...why would i do that? I run the carbon in the top of the reactor (amount per BRS instructions on bag) and it's held there by one of the sponges..pretty compactly as I read it should NOT tumble.

amount of GFO is per the instructions on the bag as well.

impur
09/21/2009, 09:23 AM
Well if the carbon is in there cramping any space for the GFO to tumble then that would help it compact.

pjewett
09/21/2009, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15736169#post15736169 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by impur
Well if the carbon is in there cramping any space for the GFO to tumble then that would help it compact.

I attached some pics. The carbon isn't cramping space...can't figure this out. It's a 2 month old unit and this has happened with every load I've put in there.

It's now not moving at all. Don't even notice the entire volume of GFO settle when I turn off. With it all the way up I still get flow from the outtake but not much.

Frustrating. Feel like I wasted my $.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/pjewett/IMG00249-20090921-1958.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/pjewett/IMG00250-20090921-1959.jpg

pjewett
09/24/2009, 07:18 PM
Well I've broken it down...AGAIN. I replaced the carbon and GFO...again. Cleaned everything up and added a prefilter to the powerhead believing perhaps that the filter became clogged. I'm attaching a video (taken minutes ago) and would really appreciate it if someone with experience with these things could give me some suggestions as to what is going wrong...or what I'm doing wrong.

Writing this thing off as junk if I can't get it running for more then a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxxTrzz7kg

Misled
09/24/2009, 08:09 PM
Tried your vid and it didn't work. I look at your pic and I don't see the tube that goes down the center of the reactor. Is there one there????

pjewett
09/24/2009, 08:19 PM
weird...i just checked the video from both my computers and it was fine. not sure what to suggest. yes i do have the tube inserted. i believe i followed all the instructions very carefully.

thanks

jjstecchino
09/24/2009, 08:40 PM
I have the same reactor and it is working very well for me.

Looking at your video the tumbling of gfo is just right.

I do run carbon and gfo on separate reactors though.

I replace gfo every month and it is not compacted.

If it tumbles too vigourosly it will release particles and turn your water, rocks and sand to a yellowish color.

jjstecchino
09/24/2009, 08:45 PM
Also the intake of my reactor gets skimmed and filtered water.
It is possible that if you feed the reactor with water that has not been skimmed and filtered (i.e. high content of dissolved organics and particles) it migt be gunking up the gfo media and causing the compaction you are observing.