PDA

View Full Version : how to scape a tank using tonga branches?

chercm
09/18/2009, 08:38 PM
pls advice

Aqua Keepers
09/18/2009, 09:03 PM
With an artistic eye my friend!!! I tried to do a couple of tanks with all Tonga as it is my favorite, but had no success (well not to my likings). Yet, I have seen a couple tanks (YRS ago) that were predominately Tonga that would make your jaw drop. It's all in the eye

acrylic_300
09/18/2009, 09:12 PM
I've seen some good ones, never had much luck myself. I think it stands out like a sore thumb unless you use a lot of it.

Good luck ever getting just a few pieces to look right though...it's all or nothing.

Cozmo4
09/19/2009, 07:21 AM
I used a few pieces and placed them in between other rocks as I was stacking my aquascape. So, there are a few branches shooting out from my rocks. It gives me some great spots to stick SPS frags and zoos.

george albert
09/19/2009, 11:42 AM
i found acrylic rods to put them together works well

kaskiles
09/20/2009, 01:30 PM
World Wide Corals in Orlando has a very nice display tank setup with tonga branches. I believe they used zip ties and the marine epoxy to connect them into a large branching structure. It's now so covered in corals, that you really don't notice the connections...

boodlefish
09/21/2009, 08:12 AM
LOL i miss read the title of this thread. i thought it said how to SCRAPE not scape with tonga branch, that i could help with.

i have found that planning for the growth of corals and or drilling holes for frag plugs helps in the end, otherwise you end up over doing it. IMO less is more.

you can zip tie pieces together too.

i think it looks best to have a variety of different rock, tonga is great for adding interesting depth and great character to an aqua scape but if you over do it, it can make your whole tank look like a interwoven mess.

play with it you will find something you like.

chessmanmark
09/21/2009, 02:04 PM
I have used just a few pieces wedged into, and poking out of the "regular" rock that I have. I like the effect when the branch comes out of the aquascape and an acro goes at the end of the branch with a plating coral below it. Just be careful of chalices. While they look nice below an acro you have to be careful of the sweepers.

Aqua Keepers
09/21/2009, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15732034#post15732034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaskiles
World Wide Corals in Orlando has a very nice display tank setup with tonga branches. I believe they used zip ties and the marine epoxy to connect them into a large branching structure. It's now so covered in corals, that you really don't notice the connections...

I forgot that they were in Orlando. I just moved to Clearwater from Ohio. I used to order from there all the time. It's A+!!! I'll have to plan a trip. The question is, will it be worth the HR+ drive?

chercm
09/21/2009, 04:57 PM
any pics ?