PDA

View Full Version : Removing Caulerpa

ILLiDaN
09/18/2009, 09:51 PM
how can it be done in a nano? do algae eating blennies help?

burtbollinger
09/18/2009, 11:12 PM
not in my experience...tore down a 24 because of it a while back....hellish stuff.

Fsurocks99
09/19/2009, 06:53 AM
tweezers is the way i did it. it is a pain but it worked. blennies to my knowledge do not eat it.

gunkel
09/19/2009, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725935#post15725935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by burtbollinger
not in my experience...tore down a 24 because of it a while back....hellish stuff.

Just did this as well, fought it for a year, I lost....

brainwashed
09/19/2009, 08:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725577#post15725577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILLiDaN
how can it be done in a nano? do algae eating blennies help?

What I would do is remove corals and fish (to reduce stress). Pull off as much as possible. Have a lights out period of at least a week and most likely closer to 2 or 3 and keep some turbo snails in there (I had 4 on about 25 lbs of liverock). I think I had some hermits also but I don't know how much they did. Rock work will be stripped of algae at this point.

You can also try flipping the rocks if you start to see signs of it growing in certain areas after a few weeks of lights on. Turbo snails will keep it at bay after the lights out period, I flipped just cause I didn't like seeing the stubbles when I got home from work. Got a cool new rock scape out of it.

Also you will want to run some type of phosphate remover and do water changes every week. I used a carbon source with great success, but I wouldn't recommend. It was more of a oh **** my phosphates and nitrates are high, let me try this! But if you had something to remove phosphates and water changes for nitrates it would help.

It has been a few months and no signs of macro algae in my aquarium. Also you could try cooking the rock, but that would be a long term with no fish or corals. Oh yes and I have removed all turbo snails except 1 which is one of those tiger ones, he grazes the rock work at night.