PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Disaster

yzfr6
09/19/2009, 10:00 AM
Okay, i am getting sick of filling my garbage can with RO/DI water and forgetting to shut off the water causing a minor flood in my basement. Its not a huge deal since its concrete and there is a drain nearby but I am wasting a lot of water. How does everyone else avoid this?

Playa-1
09/19/2009, 10:16 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/158898Brute42.jpg

A float valve on the container you're filling and an Auto Shut off Valve on the RO/DI unit so that it doesn't continue dumping water down the drain after the the tank is full.

tat2shawn
09/19/2009, 10:24 AM
+1 on the float valve.
Everyone's doing it. you should give it a try too!..LOL
Just make sure your RO unit has an Auto shut off for the waste water. If it does not, They sell a kit for it. It stops your drain water from continuing to pour down the drain.

jason2459
09/19/2009, 10:32 AM
Yep, I use a float valve as a backup to me fogetting to turn of the water to the RO/DI unit. I dont rely on the float valve 24/7 though. I do turn off the water supply once my container is full. Float valves have been known to fail.

Playa-1
09/19/2009, 10:40 AM
I agree that they can fail so don't bet the house on a $5 float valve. But it is nice not having to worry about it too much. Mine is in the garage and if it overflows then I just waste a little fresh water into the driveway. It has happened before and I was glad that it was in the garage instead of in the house :)