PDA

View Full Version : got a few questions

blazing
09/19/2009, 12:34 PM
i bought an OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI and wanted to know what psi should the water be? and is there a way to check the psi before i start taping into my water supplies? this is my first ro/di unite so i have zero experience with ro units all i know is they make clean water.

Stasiu
09/19/2009, 03:20 PM
If your source of water is a municipal water supply they you have enough pressure to run the RO unit. They can range anywhere from 50 to 100 psi. You only have to worry about booster pumps for your RO unit when you have a private well that you pump water out of.

When hooked up, you want atleast 40 psi in the RO chamber. Some units are tapped for pressure gauges, but this is not essencial. If the unit is new, there's nothing to check really. If the RO membrane is used, I would hook the unit up, let it run for a few hours and gauge how much it would make in a day from that. If it's close to the rated amount and the TDS are acceptible, you're all set.

blazing
09/19/2009, 04:34 PM
how would i know if my water is a municipal water supply? and when i do have it all setup should i run it for a bit berfore i start using it to mix SW?

Thefilterguys
09/21/2009, 09:55 AM
Most public water systems do strive for residentual pressure between 50 and 80 psi really. Once you get your system hooked up check the pressure gauge on the system that will tell you where your at. We build with Filmtec membranes since they operate at 50 psi or higher, all other membranes require 60 to 65 psi.

Make a gallon or two of water and throw it away as per instructions and your system is good to go. You only need to do this once with the first water you make. Let me know if you run into problems.

Jim