PDA

View Full Version : mp40

es1887
09/19/2009, 05:01 PM
i have an opportunity to buy a used mp40 that is a couple of years old. i am just wondering if it is worth the 150 or so he is asking for it, or should i just wait till i can buy a new one. it is a first generation, so i do not know if these are worth it or not.

Montezuma
09/19/2009, 05:16 PM
150 is a awesome deal. These pumps are top of the line. You wont regret it.

es1887
09/19/2009, 05:19 PM
great thanks. i was just wondering if there was a problem with the first gens

Sisterlimonpot
09/19/2009, 05:43 PM
that is a gen 1, so there aren't the different modes like the new ones but they are upgradable. $150 you can't go wrong.

es1887
09/19/2009, 05:45 PM
cool thank you, and he actually said that it had a wave driver on it not sure if that is the same thing

Zestay
09/19/2009, 07:24 PM
whats the guys email your buying from ill offer him 160

es1887
09/20/2009, 03:23 AM
thats nice

sjm817
09/20/2009, 06:53 AM
If its Gen 1 with no upgrades, it is pretty far behind. The wetside has been redesigned with magnets that are coated and dont rust, redesigned propeller and bearing setup. The controller also has random flow modes instead of fixed. I would ask in the EcoTech forum what the cost would be to upgrade it to Gen 2.

DarG
09/20/2009, 08:16 AM
IF the driver and motor are fine, its a good deal but to upgrade it to the W version isnt cheap. The wet side assembly should be upgradable with the new encapsulated mag, frame and bearing/shaft and nut/rotor/propeller
for less than 50 dollars with parts sold directly from Ecotech but as suggested, check with Ecotech on their forum. The above applies to the Gen1 MP40W but not positive for the original MP40 (non "wireless" version).

That said, the biggest upgrade was from the MP40 to the MP40W. You can get the "wireless" wave driver to replace the one for the original MP40 to convert it to an MP40W but that part is kinda expensive.

So ... I think you can upgrade the wet side pretty inexpensively but the upgrade to the wireless driver isnt inexpensive.

Personally, If budget was tight and I wanted a Vortech, I would still skip the MP40 and look for an MP40W. I have had a Gen1 MP40W for a couple of years, just after they came out I think. As mentioned, there is more versatility in flow modes and they are well ahead of the original non W version.

If it's actually a Gen 1 MP40W, then its a killer deal if the driver and motor are fine. All it would need is a firmware update and the upgrade wetside parts to make it a MP40W Gen2 .

es1887
09/20/2009, 09:04 AM
thats is the information i was looking for thank you very much for the detail. he said in his add that it was a mp40w with a wave driver

es1887
09/20/2009, 09:05 AM
he has 2 for sale. shoould i buy both or will one do for a 120 that is 60 inches long

DarG
09/20/2009, 09:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731100#post15731100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by es1887
thats is the information i was looking for thank you very much for the detail. he said in his add that it was a mp40w with a wave driver

That's a big difference. The MP40W Gen1 for 150 bucks is a great deal if the motor and driver are working fine. I dont know what Ecotech would charge to update the firmware to Gen2 but I doubt it would be much. You would have to send it in to Ecotech unless you have access to a Gen2 to do the update yourself. And again, the new wetside parts are affordable. So maybe another 50 bucks for the encapsulated magnet with new frame and moving parts (bearing, shaft and nut, rotor and impeller).
Contact Ecotech and see what the cost would be and you will know exactly where you stand.

BTW ... I have a 2 year old MP40W Gen1 that was recently updated to Gen2 firmware and the new wet side parts after I bought my second Vortech (Gen2) about 8 or 9 months ago. It has never given me any problems at all. Works as well now as when it was new, 2 years ago. Personally, I love the Vortechs.

DarG
09/20/2009, 09:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731102#post15731102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by es1887
he has 2 for sale. shoould i buy both or will one do for a 120 that is 60 inches long

I would personally go with 2 of them if you can afford it, especially on a 60" long 120 gallon.
Just to be clear ... I am not saying that you should buy them used. You always take a risk that the seller is honest and the warranty is not backing you up. But IF they are in proper, working condition, then 300 bucks for 2 MP40W Gen1's is a great deal even if you have to spend another 100 or so for the new wet side parts for BOTH pumps and maybe a little for the firmware updates.
Ecotech has fast turn around and great CS by the way.

I paid 12 dollars for the new magnet and shaft/nut assembly from a dealer and a couple months later I think it was 30 or 35 dollars for the rest of the wet side parts ... frame, bearing, etc. from ecotech. So thats why Im estimating 50 bucks or less for the entire wet side upgrade parts. Contact Ecotech for the total cost.

es1887
09/20/2009, 01:09 PM
i just got back with it and i must say the damn thing is insanely loud. they are not really loud are they? it is a mp40w with the "wireless' wave driver, but i ordered a new wet side assembly. i had to pay 80 bucks for it.

DarG
09/20/2009, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731953#post15731953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by es1887
i just got back with it and i must say the damn thing is insanely loud. they are not really loud are they? it is a mp40w with the "wireless' wave driver, but i ordered a new wet side assembly. i had to pay 80 bucks for it.

They arent dead silent but insanely loud ... something isnt right.
The wet side should be silent when aligned properly. The motor makes a whirring sound that I would never describe as "loud". It is more audible at higher flow settings and certian settings but it isnt what most owners would consider loud but some have described it as loud. I cant hear either of mine over the other tank noises ... sump, return pump, etc. My tank is an in-wall. If I shut everything else off, I cant hear it beyond the fish room door which is only a couple feet or less away from the Vortech. So personally, I would consider them relatively quiet but definitely not silent.

You shouldnt have had to buy an entire wetside assembly unless the cage itself is broken/cracked. Replacing the frame (base), and all moving parts as well as the bearing is signifigantly less expensive than replacing the entire wet side assembly.
A good cleaning may have been all that was needed to quiet the wet side if that is what was making the noise ... assuming that you aligned the unit well. If the motor itself is what is "insanely loud" that isnt a good sign.