PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off

JohnnyBlaze561
09/19/2009, 06:44 PM
Could any advise me to the drawback of hooking up my spectra pure max cap RO/DI system directly to my tank via an auto top off unit (tunze osmolator).

Sisterlimonpot
09/19/2009, 06:49 PM
If the ATO fails (and they do more than you would think) your RODI unit will run and continue to dilute and flood the tank until it kills everything in the tank and ruins your home. The best method is to control the amount or RODI water that goes into the tank by using a smaller tank that if the ATO fails it will only pump the water that is in the smaller tank.

I personally use a 2 gallon reservoir on my 125. That is extremely on the small side but I was confined by the amount of space I had under the tank.

Phyxius
09/19/2009, 06:51 PM
How are you planning on integrating the Tunze ATO directly to the RO/DI unit?? I have the Tunze ATO and they usually are used by hooking its pump up to a reservoir of sorts and pumping it in that way.Hooking a RO/DI unit directly to the tank is possibly asking for trouble in the long run......

das75
09/19/2009, 11:52 PM
close to 4 years with my ro/di connected directly to a furnace humidifier mechanical type float valve, no problems.

Rocco8
09/19/2009, 11:53 PM
I am using a Level-Loc ATO with a float valve AND a low-voltage electronic solenoid valve with magnetic level switch for dual shut-off of top off water. This redundant safety feature prevents accidental flooding if the float valve should fail. Level-Loc installs on your sump allowing you to automatically maintain desired water level in your aquarium or sump. I connected it to my RO/DI unit. It has an adjustable mounting bracket that accommodates sump rims up to 1-1/2" wide. Since my sump had a 2" rim I cut a notch in the sump rim. With dual shutoffs I am not concerned with dilution of the salt water. I also added an in expensive TDS meter on the inlet and outlet of the RO/DI unit to insure it is working properly.

lordofthereef
09/20/2009, 01:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15730333#post15730333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by das75
close to 4 years with my ro/di connected directly to a furnace humidifier mechanical type float valve, no problems.

I think using a float valve style system is a lot safer. And since they are so cheap, doubling up also isn't a terrible idea, if you have the room.

corman1313
09/20/2009, 03:02 PM
RO systems work best when ran for more than 2 gallons, you will not get the best water you can out of it when you only run it for a short time, your best bet is to get a reservoir. I use a double float valve ato from autotopoff.com works great, only 50 buck and i have the added security of a second valve if the first fails.

JohnnyBlaze561
09/20/2009, 04:31 PM
Even with a Tunze Osmolator that constantly drips a little at a time.

corman1313
09/21/2009, 02:25 PM
SO your RO system will be on all the time?

JohnnyBlaze561
09/21/2009, 04:14 PM
The ATO controller is hooked up to a solenoid.