PDA

View Full Version : 70W Metal Halide Ballast Needed

LouH
09/19/2009, 07:51 PM
I have a nice PFO mini pendant that will work with a 70W MH bulb. I've recently set up a 30 gallon cube tank that I'd like to grow Zoos and Ricordeas in, and a 70W metal halide system would be sweet. I can't locate a PFO 70W ballast anywhere, but Ice Cap makes one. Before buying the Ice Cap, I was wondering if anyone has built a ballast with a kit from one of the various lighting supply companies. It looks like I can build a ballast for under $50.00. Has anyone done this and had a good result?

Thanks.

Lou

Zestay
09/19/2009, 07:55 PM
http://*******.com/mmpfml

LouH
09/19/2009, 08:41 PM
Hey wise guy, no kidding. I know what is available and what isn't. I asked if anyone had any experiences with a ballast kit.

o0jmadr0x0o
09/19/2009, 09:45 PM
http://ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=112&FID=17&level=1

here is a real link for you
40$ shipped, but i have no experience with it

LouH
09/20/2009, 05:55 AM
That looks about what the IceCap ballast looks like. I'll have to look at this alittle closer.

Thanks o0jmadr0x0o! Coincidentially, o0jmadr0x0o happens to be my son's name.

DarG
09/20/2009, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15729640#post15729640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
Hey wise guy, no kidding. I know what is available and what isn't. I asked if anyone had any experiences with a ballast kit.

Most of my magnetic ballasts are "kits" ... and when I say Kit I am talking about the raw magnetic ballasts sold with all the parts which would be the transformer, capacitor, ignitor (if pulse start) and mounting brackets. If that is what you are talking about, then yes, I have several ballasts assembled from these seperate components purchased as a "kit". Technically, the components are meant to be enclosed in a metal box/case because there is a burst risk for the capacitors and live contacts are exposed which can present a shock/electrocution hazard. They require basic electrical wiring knowledge. By the way, I dont think I have paid more than 35 dollars for a raw ballast kit ... that is for a PAIR of raw ballasts. I found all or all but one of them from surplus suppliers on ebay. From memory, I have "kits" in 175 watt probe M57 and pulse start M137, 150 watt pulse start M102 and 250 watt probe start M58.

The ballastwise electronic ballasts are fine by the way. Good choice for a budget ballast, havent seen any negative reviews so they appear to hold up well.

LouH
09/20/2009, 07:53 AM
DarG,

Thank you. That is the kind of informaiton that I'm looking for.

Do you know of any special ballast or starter requirements for properly igniting and driving a double ended HQI bulb?

Lou

DarG
09/20/2009, 08:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15730871#post15730871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
DarG,

Thank you. That is the kind of informaiton that I'm looking for.

Do you know of any special ballast or starter requirements for properly igniting and driving a double ended HQI bulb?

Lou

An electronic ballast will drive it. Technically, they are an "HQI" rated lamp specd for the M85 magnetic HQI ballast. I think you will have a hard time finding an M85 ballast kit and if you do find one, they will likely be expensive. If you found an M85 kit for 50 bucks, buy it.

Advance transformer has discontinued general production of the M80 ballast and probably soon to be the M81 as well (HQI ballasts for 250 and 150 watt DE/HQI rated lamps).
Not sure if they produced or still produce the M85 components at all. But basically, the companies are sourcing the components from china now for their HQI ballasts ... demand was too low for Advance to continue general production on these relatively expensive ballasts (autoformers). Raw ballast kits for the "HQI" rated lamps were always hard to find and expensive when found.

My basic point is this ... the 70 watt de lamps are not par monsters anyway. Like any HQI rated lamp, they will produce a bit higher par and the designed spectrum with the HQI magnetic ballasts compared to an electronic but it is not all that signifigant. And with a lower par application where you would be using 70 watt halides, the M85 ballast versus an electronic is not going to "make or break" the system in terms of being the difference in enough par or not enough par ... and this applies to the higher wattage DE lamps as well.

To put it simply ... I wouldnt kill myself or my wallet insisting on finding the M85 ballast. An electronic ballast will work fine for the application. And I say this as someone who prefers the magnetic ballast over the electronic. So again, if you find an M85 kit for 50 bucks (or whatever you consider reasonable/affordable), buy it. But dont sweat it. An electronic will work fine. If you want a good electronic, the Hatch Transformer electronic ballasts are excellent electronics. The IceCap 150 watt is a Hatch and the 70 watt may be as well, I havent checked.
If looking on a budget, the ballastwise ballasts are well reviewed electronic ballasts that are relatively inexpensive.
Im not sure who makes a premade M85 ballast. PFO is out of business and I dont know if they ever made one anyway. 70 watt is not a very popular reef tank halide so the lamp selection is pretty small and the ballasts sold to the hobby arent in abundance like they are for the higher wattages.

Try a search for ANSI M85 or similiar and see what comes up. Doesnt matter if its marketed to the hobby or not, all M85 ballasts are supposed to meet the same spec.
So, M85 is the spec ballast but again, you'll be fine with an electronic ballast if you cant find the M85 or cant find it at a reasonable price.

LouH
09/20/2009, 08:46 AM
DarG,

I appreciate the time you put into your last post. That gives me everything that I need to push forward.

Thank you,

Lou

DarG
09/20/2009, 09:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731028#post15731028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
DarG,

I appreciate the time you put into your last post. That gives me everything that I need to push forward.

Thank you,

Lou

My pleasure. Good luck.

LouH
09/20/2009, 09:29 AM
How does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/70-watt-MH-Light-BALLAST-KIT-70w-METAL-HALIDE-MH70_W0QQitemZ120454767483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ba9e37b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

DarG
09/20/2009, 10:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15731211#post15731211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LouH
How does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/70-watt-MH-Light-BALLAST-KIT-70w-METAL-HALIDE-MH70_W0QQitemZ120454767483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ba9e37b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I believe that is a standard 70 watt pulse start ballast. The HQI ballast is basically a pulse start ballast on steroids. But it depends on the wattage. For example, with 250 watt HQI ballasts versus the standard pulse start, the starting and operating specs are all different. With 150 watt halides, the operating specs are the same between the pulse start M102 and the HQI M81 ballast but the starting/firing specs are different. I am assuming that it is probably the same with the 70 watt M85 "HQI" ballast and the standard pulse start M98 ballast. But I am not 100% positive.
In other words, that ballast is not the exact spec ballast made for the DE/HQI rated 70 watt lamps. Doesnt mean it wont work. It very well may drive the lamps to the same operating specs as the M85 ballast but have different starting specs. In the long term, the different starting specs may or may not have an impact. But again, not being positive, it may have different starting and operating specs. Still doesnt mean that it wont "work".

The absolute BEST person to contact for technical info is RC member PaulEric. He is an expert on all things technical when it comes to halide ballasts and lamps. He could tell you absolutely whether that ballast would be a perfectly suitable subsitute for the M85. Do a search for his user name and then shoot him a PM. I think it would probably be fine based on the circuit that it employs but I am at my limit here technically.

You can check the different operating and starting specs of the different ballasts by searching the Advance Transformer site and typing in the different ballast types by ANSI number. There are many variable involved like pulse height, starting current and voltage, operating current .... and on and on. But PaulEric is the man to contact for an easy and absolute answer as to whether that ballast would work fine and/or what differences or potential issues there may be.

LouH
09/20/2009, 10:35 AM
I'll shoot PaulEric a PM.

Thanks DarG. You've been a big help.