PDA

View Full Version : "stuff" on aussie corals???

Capt_Cully
09/20/2009, 01:02 PM
Last coral I added to my tank was a BEAUTIFUL sour apple scoly about 4 inches across. Shortly thereafter, with no forseeable cause, I lost ALL of my LPS except for euphyllia and some acan echinatas. I have a hydnophora that is rallying but ever so slowly receding.

My tank is free of FW's, Redbugs, Nudi's etc.

What things can you think of that would cause a rapid LPS die off??? (no variances in parameters to note) Any suspect stuff or bugs coming in on aussie stuff???

Casualties:
Acan lords
Scoly
Hydnophora
Candy canes
Aussie maze brain (platygyra)
Regular maze, platy
Aussie wall torch
Chalice

Most of the corals had been in my tank at least a year, many of them over 2 years.

AndyH5512
09/20/2009, 01:22 PM
There have been quite a few issues with "unknown" parasites coming in on Aussie items. I too have lost quite a few acans. I now treat everything that comes in with Interceptor before it goes any ANY of my tanks. Some are periodically treating their entire systems with Interceptor. Be forewarned, though, that it will kill shrimp, crabs , pods, and snails (basically everything except fish and coral). I believe that someone got an extreme close up shot of what they suspected was the parasite, and it looked like a microscopic spider. Either way, whatever the issue is needs to be eradicated.

amore169
09/20/2009, 01:36 PM
Check out this thread;

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1400291

Capt_Cully
09/20/2009, 02:42 PM
Ha, I know ktar, not well, but we've met. I recall this.

I did a hail mary interceptor treatment when my scoly died and my chalice was receding, to no avail. I'm still scratching my head. I have plenty of SPS going strong. Still wondering why 75% of my euphyllia was spared.

also, forgot about a sweet war favia, and some aussie blastos I had too...poof, gone in less than 24hrs when all this stuff hit.

Any theories on tempature variances? I'd heard that the aussie stuff was way less tolerant. That's way down on my differential diagnosis however. I really think that scoly (or something on it) was the catalyst.

Capt_Cully
09/20/2009, 03:04 PM
I perused that thread, it was a doozie, EXCELLENT reference reading and photos.

I'm thinking I may have screwed up my Interceptor dosing. Either too little, or too late, or maybe I forgot to turn off my skimmer, or something bone headed. I'm going to dose with Interceptor a few times then experiment with some frags.

I hope this was the only problem. Sucked to lose all that livestock.

PelagicMagic
09/20/2009, 05:29 PM
sorry to hear the bad news.

You should dip everything before adding it to your tank and if possible use a QT tank.

Before thinking about parasites have you tested your water?