PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on how to kill feather dusters or tube worms

ehutchby
09/20/2009, 05:22 PM
I have several feather dusters in my main SPS dominated display. I put a yellow coris wrase in two weeks ago, hoping it would eat them. To date, I don't have any evidence of him eating them.
Any ideas on how to remove the feather dusters?
Thanks

Agu
09/20/2009, 09:00 PM
And why would you want to eliminate them ? They are a sign of a healthy and diverse tank. Population will ebb and flow depending on food available.

ehutchby
09/20/2009, 09:29 PM
I have several of them in my tank. They are attaching to some of my SPS.

NCSUsalt
09/21/2009, 12:05 AM
prazipro

dcroucher
09/21/2009, 08:30 AM
I would love to have them in my tank. Why remove.....

skanderson
09/21/2009, 02:27 PM
i would recommend putting in a fish that will eat them. i always here that copper banded butterflies will clear a tank of all tubeworms. i have a cbb and have no tubeworms in my main tank but they are everywhere in my sump and refugium.

albano
09/21/2009, 02:33 PM
I have also used CBB to remove the hundreds of small feather dusters in my display tank...unfortunately, he was purchased to eliminate aptasia...which he ignored!

ctripi
09/21/2009, 03:01 PM
Hunger peppermint shrimp will eat feather dusters; but I agree to leave them alone.

lordofthereef
09/23/2009, 01:47 AM
Why do you want them gone? Just don't like the look?

ehutchby
09/23/2009, 05:56 AM
I like the look, however, they are spreading way too much around my tank, growing near some of my best SPS colonys.

graha321
09/23/2009, 09:08 AM
I had feather dusters that were choking out some of my corals. Prazipro didn't touch them, got rid of flukes though. I switched to dosing vodka and got ULNS. Since then, they've vanished. I'd probably recommend a CBB fish first.

jhentr
09/27/2009, 08:23 AM
I would love to have the issue you have. I did have a good 5x5 patch of mini feather dusters, but then right after adding a Copperband Butterfly, he went to down on them. Literally only after 1 min. of being put into the tank, that I started seeing floating feather duster heads in the water column.

Before the Copperband, I introduced another butterfly fish, (Heniochus?) that went to town on my feather duster, so I return him quickly. The look of the CBB won me over so I couldn't return it.

nayrgaijin
09/27/2009, 09:46 PM
Copperband butterfly will DEVOUR them ! haha

slow_leak
09/28/2009, 01:41 AM
I you saw how many feather dusters I have you would not ask why.

I like peppermint shrimp idea as I am primarily concerned about corals and not interested in CBB. I also like ULNS too. Shrimps might be an expensive lunch now that I think about it.

beerboy
10/03/2009, 10:59 PM
copperband butterfly, then watch him slowly waste away afterwards becasue you were to new to the hobby to check he was eating frozen prior to purchase and he was too finnicky when eating DIY from a rock :sad2:

but I would rather leave them mine are slowly growing back after a couple of months.

irfisher
10/05/2009, 06:51 AM
Copperbanded Butterfly ate all mine within a couple of days. Also ate all zenia and aptasia.

aninjaatemyshoe
10/05/2009, 08:25 AM
Does anybody know how to remove all these annoying corals that keep encroaching on my feather dusters?

codyjp
10/08/2009, 04:13 AM
I had a whole tank full of them as well as some itty bitty white starfish. I noticed a few months ago that they had all disappeared after being in the tank for several years... I've changed nothing in the tank however!

reefbro
10/19/2009, 08:51 PM
Valnetino puffer. He did not touch the corals but wiped out feather dusters. Which i did not like.

ckoral
11/30/2009, 01:46 PM
I had hundreds to the point where they were choking other corals off. I bought a CBB because I really like CBB's, and he ate every one he could get to. I was unable to keep my CBB alive, so now the worms (feather duster like) come back.
If they get to concentrated near a coral, I simply rip groups of them away from the coral. I prefer to simply live with them.
I thought I remember reading Julian Sprung's book and it said they were a sign of a high nutrient tank. I do water changes so often that I don't understand how my nutrients would be high. I also feed very small amounts of food.
If you smoosh the off white tube against your hands, you will see the tube is detritus of some sort. It looks like they are calcium based, but they are not.

Purelife
11/30/2009, 04:29 PM
scrape them off and throw them in your sump or fuge, They are great water polishers.