PDA

View Full Version : 24g nano w/ brooklynella

rabes762
09/20/2009, 08:20 PM
Hey all! I've got a 24g nano that about 8 weeks old. Anyways about three weeks ago I got a pair of oscellaris clowns and unfortunately they quickly showed symptoms of brooklynella and ich and succumbed after a few days. After they died, i decided to let the tank go fallow of fish, and have since been stocking some inverts (so far I have a coral banded shrimp, a blue-spot pistol shrimp, a hammerhead coral, an open brain coral, and a feather duster. All are happy and healthy!)

Question #1: Does the three week wait sound long enough, and am I safe to start stocking some fish again?

Question #2: The LFS I bought the clowns from told me not to give my fish a fresh water dip before introducing them to the tank since it would stress them out too much. I need a sanity check on this one, but I feel that since I don't have a QT I should atleast do something to minimize the risk of introducing diseases in my tank.

Thanks for the help!

Gwynhidwy
09/21/2009, 07:13 AM
It will be difficult to keep parasites out of your tank with no quarantine. It really is worth the money, usually only about $50, to set up at least a basic quarantine.

I would wait a minimum of eight weeks. The life cycle of the parasite that causes brook is shorter than for ich, so many people say four, but I like to be cautious.

Here is a link to info on brook:
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/brookynella.html

Many people use freshwater dips, but they are not effective against many things that fish can bring in. Giving your fish a freshwater dip will do little, if anything, to remove the parasites that cause either brook or ich, but will help with most types of flukes. It is very important to match the pH and temperature of the water in the bath. If you can't do that with accuracy the dip can cause more harm than good.