PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic acid for Chiller cleaning??

bobsea
09/21/2009, 06:27 PM
I've been trying to clean an Artica 1/4 horse in-line chiller. I've used 1 to 3 parts vinegar to water with a 900 gph pump, but still get a bit of debris with the final flush. I can even see some green algae when I look into the hose connectors. Some have suggested bleach or muriatic acid. What do you think? Thanks, Bob

A sea K
09/21/2009, 06:39 PM
Bleach for the algea and muriatic acid for hard mineral deposits.
Caution when using muriatic acid with metals, the acid is very caustic and will rapidly eat alluminum, not sure what it does to titanium but regardless I woud not use it.

Bryan
09/21/2009, 07:08 PM
Use muriatic acid diluted to dissolve calcium deposits 1:10 or 1:20 or so, but it won't get rid of the green algae. Use a strong bleach solution for the algae. DOn't mix the muriatic acid and bleach together, flush between cleaning's

Lutefisk
09/21/2009, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15739154#post15739154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bryan
Use muriatic acid diluted to dissolve calcium deposits 1:10 or 1:20 or so, but it won't get rid of the green algae. Use a strong bleach solution for the algae. DOn't mix the muriatic acid and bleach together, flush between cleaning's

Bryan is absolutely right about this unless you want a trip the emergency room - or worse. :sad2:

It will produce deadly chlorine gas.

bobsea
09/23/2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the advise. I'm checking with jbjlighting, who makes Artica chillers, to see their views on bleach or muriatic acid (of course used separately).