PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead preferences?

ZenMan
09/21/2009, 09:51 PM
I'm almost done ordering my new 570 gallon A.G.E. tank. The final question is what brand of bulkhead do I want for the overflow and bottom panel penetrations for my closed loop?

I have two 2" bulkheads in the external overflow, and two 1.5" bulkheads in the bottom PVC panel for my closed loop inlet.

A.G.E. has templates for all the following bulkhead manufacturers:
Spears, Hayward, Ryan Herco, Rainbow Plastics, Hydro Air, Inland Seas, US Plastics, Banjo, etc

What brand should I go with, why, and where can I order from?

Thanks.

dipan
09/22/2009, 01:26 AM
I ordered some Haywards from drillspot.com and had them drop-shipped to AGE. Actually, drillspot drop-shipped them in turn from Grainger. You might as well go to the source. The Haywards have a hex shape and AGE can cut out the hex shape in the PVC base to countersink them. The hex shape will not spin, unlike a round flanged bulkhead. That being said, I don't know if the other companies you mention make a superior product or not.

If you want to see a picture of the bulkheads that I ordered, check my build thread by clicking on the red house above this post and check the second page.

Lightsluvr
09/22/2009, 04:44 AM
+1 for the Haywards.

AGE countersunk the PVC bottom of my tank, which means they won't "spin" when you are tightening them from underneath...

LL

mcrist
09/22/2009, 08:52 AM
Hayward all the way... I would never use anything else.

I purchased all mine at http://www.usplastic.com.