PDA

View Full Version : Can softies be superglued to frag rocks?

Frogmanx82
09/21/2009, 11:30 PM
Would regular superglue, gel, or liquid bandaid be best?

Drock169
09/22/2009, 12:18 AM
depends on the type of soft coral, some will require a little rubble or it wont take hold, usual I just let whatever I want to frag grow onto the plug and then cut it. Or you can use a needle and thread to tie it down, usually works a lot better than super glue. As for glue itself, the gel works the best.

Hephalump
09/22/2009, 12:24 AM
I've tried to glue softies before and they usually come unglued fairly quickly. Better to use fishing line or bridal veil to keep them in place.

Akimbo
09/22/2009, 01:57 AM
It all depends on what softie you are trying to glue. All mushrooms and leathers cannot be glued. They secrete an intense slime that will wash away the glue. Xenia and Kenya tree can be glued.

If you wantyour mushrooms or leathers to attach you will need small pieces of live rock. Place them in a tupperwear container with the live rock and just let them attach over time. If you want to you can rubber them to the rock but shrooms will slide out from under them and if too tight it will cut the leather and usually kill it.

Gary Majchrzak
09/24/2009, 01:34 PM
take one rubber band and two pieces of rock rubble. place the softy frag between the rubble. Wrap tightly around rubble with rubber band pinching softy frag between rubble. Plop into slow moving area of aquarium and leave it alone.

InsaneClownFish
09/24/2009, 05:38 PM
Gary's idea will probably work best. I've actually used super glue gel for Ricordia, and while the slime does make it difficult, with a little patience it works well.