PDA

View Full Version : what size filter sock do i need?

spamreefnew
09/22/2009, 12:31 PM
i want to add a filtersock to my set-up what size is good for me?
my tank is a 45g oceanic cube wh 30ish g sump and a mag 8 return pump(full blast) do i get the 4" or 7"?

uncleof6
09/22/2009, 01:06 PM
Couple of things on socks: Mechanical filtration is a cling on from the old days of fish tanks. First they are a big maintenance issue, as they need to be changed out/cleaned every other day or more often, to keep pollution rates down, and they present a flow restriction, as particulate matter collects.

Secondly, the food chain in a reef/FOWLR is far more complex than in the fish only system, and each particle of food added to the system is consumed as many as 15 times. (more or less) Mechanical filtration removes these suspended goodies, and robs many critters of their food source, and thus decreasing the bio diversity of the system. Mechanical media also strips out free floating critters such as copepods, also an important food source for many tank inhabitants.

What size sock? Depends on how much room you have. Regardless of the size, however, the maintenance interval will be the same: the amount of stuff the sock will collect will be the same with either size.

Regards,

Jim