PDA

View Full Version : Foam Spilling out of AquaC EV Skimmer

sedor
09/22/2009, 06:25 PM
Let me start with a little background. I recently started vodka dosing (about a week ago) and started with the widely recommended dose amount of 0.3, apparently that was to much because on the 3rd day my tank experienced a bacterial bloom. Vodka wasn't dosed for 2 days until the tank cleared up, and now its clear as can be. My skimmer is pulling out tons of waste.

The problem is, its producing so much foam that its spilling out the lid of the skimmer and more importantly the drain tube (which I have pointed up because I don't like to use a separate waste container) is spilling foam out into the same. Overall, this isn't hurting anything, but I was hoping someone with the same skimmer could suggest how they avoid this from happening. The AquaC EV manual says pretty clearly not to plug the drain tube because it will hinder the skimming ability.

Any thoughts?

sedor
09/22/2009, 08:14 PM
bump

welldigger
09/23/2009, 06:23 AM
Sedor,
Is the foam wet or dry? Try running a little drier in production. This may lower the amount the cup needs to hold. I ran mine wet for a day and pulled 3 cups in an hour while breaking it in. Also, I've noticed that a "keg" cup or plastic beer cup cup (red or blue) fit nicely under the drain tube and sit on top of the grey box like it was made for it. I empty the plastic cup easier than taking the top off the skimmer.
Again, if it's running wet, the liquid volume is probably three times more than a drier setting. Are you getting tiny bubbles in the lower glass or are they larger, say the size of your thumbnail? I've noticed with mine, if I keep the water level lower, it creates tiny bubbles (pea size) all the way up the column and a very concentrated skimmate.
Just my thoughts, and what worked for me. Good luck!

yukondave
09/23/2009, 11:41 AM
I've got the same skimmer, I wouldn't sweat it to much... never tried the vodka dosing but have experianced the massive foam issue on a couple occations like when I put in a new filter sock that I failed to rinse. oops... anyways it just ran it coarse and then got back to skimming regually. I think it filled an entire 2 liter bottle + skimmer cup before it was done. The Vodka may have killed off some things and thats what the skimmer is pulling out. Or it's just pulling out the vodka. I say let it do it's thing, and keep an eye on it. Just leave the tube open and draining back into the sump like you are and empty the cup regularly.