PDA

View Full Version : Adding a thin layer of sand to a BB tank?!

cabrego
09/22/2009, 08:31 PM
Hey all, I have been running a BB tank for a while and I have decided to go for a different look by adding sand. I would like to add about 20-40 lbs into my 90 gallon tank. I want a thin layer for purely aesthetic reasons. Is there anything to worry about, in terms of the tank cycling or any other issues.

My plan is to pump out 20 gallons of water, add a thin layer of sand by funneling it through pvc pipes (to reduce cloudiness). I will of course remove much my live rock for easy working space.

My main concerns is with the tank cycling, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

seapug
09/22/2009, 08:46 PM
adding aragonite sand to an established tank can cause a drop in alkalinity. If you use dry sand, rinse it with a hose to flush out as much dust as possible. Give it a day or two to dry and it's not likely to cause any issues (never has for me). It's best to add a little bit at a time over a period of a few days so you can monitor and adjust any alkalinity/pH issues as you go.

cabrego
09/22/2009, 08:53 PM
I was planning on doing some kind of live sand like this

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+16764&pcatid=16764

this is a aragonite sand...what causes the drop in kh?

seapug
09/23/2009, 08:17 AM
The dust can cause precipitation of magnesium which can cause your alkalinity to drop.

mcoomer
09/23/2009, 10:00 AM
If you're only doing a thin layer of sand in an established tank I'd simply find some fine sand to add. Rinse thoroughly in a bucket to remove dust and add it slowly to your tank until you get the look that you want. A very thin dusting isn't going to develop the different layers of a DSB and will be quickly seeded by the life that is on your rock. For that reason I'd go with the cheapest available product that gives you the color and grain size that you want.

Mike

biecacka
09/23/2009, 10:34 AM
i would also leave the rock in your tank. that way they are set on the glass and not the sand. this way they are more stable
hth
corey