PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Acclimate a shipped clam?

Tigé21v
09/22/2009, 11:01 PM
I will be getting a 5" crocea delivered UPS tomorrow. How long should I drip him? I'm worried that after being bagged for so long and the clam being so big, there may be a buildup of ammonia in the shipping water, and I thought I read somewhere that during shipping the ph will drop and hold down the toxicity of the ammonia. But once the ph rises as the dripping starts, the toxicity will also increase.
Thanks for the help!!

moliken
09/23/2009, 04:32 AM
my dripping of shipped overnight clams always takes at least 2 hours. don't forget to burp it.

a4twenty
09/23/2009, 05:07 AM
after being in a box during shipping, don't forget to acclimate to the bright lights too.

and don't forget to post some pics :)

Tigé21v
09/23/2009, 06:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15746526#post15746526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moliken
.... don't forget to burp it.

Burp it? Sorry, first clam.

moliken
09/23/2009, 04:22 PM
shake it underwater afew seconds [to be absolute sure, turn the clam upside down then right it]after it's being exposed to air. u may see a bubble. safer clam

Day With 2 Suns
09/23/2009, 06:38 PM
most important is to take a old tooth brush and really clean the shell of any snails or egg's or other hitch hikers. espically around the lip of the shell and the shell bottom. you won't hurt the clam. put him in a spot that you can visually check him in a few days to see if anything has started to grow, espically a clear jelly like mass

dragonland08
09/24/2009, 04:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15746114#post15746114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tigé21v
I will be getting a 5" crocea delivered UPS tomorrow. How long should I drip him? I'm worried that after being bagged for so long and the clam being so big, there may be a buildup of ammonia in the shipping water, and I thought I read somewhere that during shipping the ph will drop and hold down the toxicity of the ammonia. But once the ph rises as the dripping starts, the toxicity will also increase.
Thanks for the help!!

I've read that same thing somewhere, ever since i've stopped drip acclimating my corals with no ill effects. I would say as long as your tank parameters are spot on it will provide a safe/suitable environment for the clam to recover/heal if it is indeed in bad shape.