PDA

View Full Version : cyano problem. plz help

knoxtnreef
09/23/2009, 11:17 AM
I have a cyano problem and it's getting worse. It's the red cyano taking over my rock and glass. It started about the time I scaled back on my flow. I have two koralia 3's and the return pumps in the 75g. my levels are 7.8 ph, 78 degrees. I put some carbon in the tank for about 3 weeks now and it's not helping any. The lighting hasnt changed to create this problem and water changes dont help.

ROB2005
09/23/2009, 11:24 AM
How often do you feed your fish and perform water changes?

tahammo
09/23/2009, 11:40 AM
I think you've answered your own question, cyno seems to do best in low flow situations. If cyno wasn't a problem before and you have decreased your flow and unless something else hasn't changed in your tank setup then I would suggest returning the flow.

You list a phosban reactor, is it time to change the media?

Hope this helps,

Thomas

knoxtnreef
09/23/2009, 11:42 AM
i will purcahse another ph...the reactor media isn't too old. I feed my fish twice a day.

Vanquishxxxx
09/23/2009, 05:03 PM
i woudl cut back on feeding to once every other day, do a water change try to suck out most of the visible cyano, then do a 3 day black out period, and then one more water change. and if possible replace your phosban or gfo which ever you use that shodl do wonders

Rockhead21564
09/23/2009, 08:26 PM
You don't need the black out period, remove all the cyano by hand then use some red slime remover, all LFS's have it, then 20% water change, then feed fish once a a day, and probably less than you are, everyone thinks the fish look hungry,lol. no flakes, only frozen, kelp, or pellets