PDA

View Full Version : Purple Firefish question

GrantMeThePower
09/23/2009, 11:18 AM
I recently put a purple firefish in my tank. He went in two days ago. Within 2 seconds of being put in (and properly acclimated with the drip method) he went right into hiding in the rocks. I have not seen even a shadow of him since, not even at feeding time.

Is this normal for this fish? When do I start to really worry?

thegrun
09/23/2009, 11:35 AM
Mine did about the same, although he usually came out of hiding at dinner time (but wouldn't venture far from his cave). He then went a few months of spending a week or so mostly out in the water column, then would go back into hiding for a couple of weeks. He now hangs out in the open nearly all of the time, although he spooks easily and will dash back into his cave for a minute or two. During the periods when he was mostly in hiding, I would spot feed the area outside his cave since he wouldn't come out very far. I would recommend you try spot feeding, if he goes a week without eating it would not be good. With any luck he will find some courage (or at least get hungry) and begin to eat. With time, he should come out and display what a beautiful fish he is.

MCCOOL
09/23/2009, 01:32 PM
A firefish was the first fish I put in my tank, immediately after introduction he went into hiding for 2-3 weeks. I didn't see him again until I added another firefish, although I couldn't say for sure if that was the reason for him coming out or not.

GrantMeThePower
09/23/2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reassurance guys!

Jaycen B.
09/23/2009, 04:41 PM
Just keep a lid on the tank mine jumped out today and the cat ate him before I knew it.

zach jay
09/23/2009, 06:58 PM
i put mine in my tank a few weeks ago. i've seen him maybe 6 times. within the last couple days he's been out in the open a lot more, but for about a week i thought he was gone

sks4613
09/23/2009, 08:26 PM
Wow fast kitty jaycen

ddinox64
09/23/2009, 08:37 PM
I don't have the Purple Firefish but I have the Firefish. Two of them. Out all day long and all over the tank.

jasoncampbell83
09/23/2009, 09:20 PM
My firefish was in my smaller tank, he hid all the time, would only come out to feed, you could see the back of his tail when he was in hiding. I thought I would give it a try to move him to my larger tank and ever since then he has been out all day. He only hides when the lights are off. A few years ago I had one that hid all the time, I bought another and they stayed out all the time together. They are just a weird fish! Yup watch for them jumping, my old one would just come out of hiding and swim to the top and hit the lid and go back to hiding...

deladarkstep
11/20/2009, 08:50 PM
Mine's doing a little of both, I shut the powerheads off to take a couple pictures and he came right out. I try to feed him every time he sees me. Hopefully build his trust. yesterday he was out for 1/4 of the day. Today I saw him barely pop his head out. I wonder what the best amount of current would be?

cjj14u
11/20/2009, 09:05 PM
Just keep a lid on the tank mine jumped out today and the cat ate him before I knew it.

Yup...they are almost like "flying fish"......

danielsreef
11/20/2009, 10:15 PM
My purple firefish would only come out at feeding time even after having him for over a year. Recently I moved the two tangs out of my tank that I had in there and he is out all the time now. Depending on his tankmates he may hide a lot or come out to play.

deladarkstep
11/25/2009, 01:30 PM
i shut the powerheads off when I feed otherwise it goes right into the overflow. whenever I shut them off he comes out and stays, current is most likely too little, it's the stock jbj powerheads, I thought they liked current? what's the deal? I need to be educated!

thegrun
11/25/2009, 02:31 PM
The noise from the pumps may be spooking the fish. My purple fire fish used to dash back into its cave when the pumps came back on, although after a few months it quit swimming for cover at their sound.

BeachBumm
11/25/2009, 07:17 PM
I just purchased a purple firefish and he went behind the rock and hung out with my white ladder goby .I barely could see around the rock and there was both of them ust laying together .After a week now he comes out front and center and loves attention .