PDA

View Full Version : cyano

kook1e
09/23/2009, 04:53 PM
i have a pretty good amount of this on my sandbed and a tiny bit on my rocks, my lighting is a little old, and flow is moderate... if i were to get a orange spotted goby, or diamond goby (something that stirs up the sand) would you guys think that this would help?

i know i need to change my lights, but i was just curious if a goby would be a good idea?

matt880305
09/23/2009, 06:54 PM
how often do you do water changes? were do you get you water from for water changes and top off? what are you parameters?

Rockhead21564
09/23/2009, 08:17 PM
1. low lighting is better for stopping cyano.
2. no fish or critter is going to stop cyano
3. how much are you feeding- probably over feeding
4. are you syphining sand, regular water changes

cyano is a indication of very poor water quality, things are decomposing in your tanks. usually excess food, dead snail or something like that

sks4613
09/23/2009, 08:28 PM
Diamond star wont help with the cyano however will stir the sand so it wont appear as dark on the floor. I run phosban occasionaly only kent marine as it will not put aluminum in the tank. Never had a problem with it. How long has your tank been up?

kook1e
09/24/2009, 12:52 PM
tank has been up for about 6 months now. turned lights off for about 2 days now and it seems to be going away. i know this isnt stopping the problem but its nice to see some change even if it does come back lol. everyone overfeeds a little in my mind. whether they think it or not. I use distilled water from the jugs. heard it'd be fine and is similar to ro/di water....