PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tang Ethical Issue?

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 05:21 PM
Ok, so this came to a surprise to me. I was in a local salt water specialtie store the other day and we were discussing different fish and what is appropriate for my sons 20 L
I mentioned how badly he wanted a "Dori" fish and she informed me that a Blue Tang would be fine in our tank, and when it gets bigger you either up grade your tank or they offer a program so when a Tang is too big for your tank you simply trade it in for a smaller one! At first I was thinking Thats GREAT! WOW! Cool!
Now that I have gotten over the excitement of the possibility of getting a blue tang I realized that it must be really weird that they are willing to do this. Is this common practice with large angels and tangs?? Isn't the stress of moving from a tank to a fish store and then into another tank really un-healthy?? My family and I have every intention of upgrading within a year to a 75 gallon, the sooner the better. But as the saying goes "life happens" and it may not happen.
I hope this goes without saying that I have given up on thinking we are getting a Blue Tang and we will just have to wait. Trying to explain this to my three year old will be another story... any feed back on the situation, or similar experiences would be great.
IS the trading of Blue Tangs common practice? Is this even something to consider...? It really does seem wrong, but my selfishness makes me curious.

agreeive?fish
09/23/2009, 05:30 PM
personaly o dont think its a good idea. blue tangs stress out easily

wooden_reefer
09/23/2009, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749885#post15749885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltLifeLove
Ok, so this came to a surprise to me. I was in a local salt water specialtie store the other day and we were discussing different fish and what is appropriate for my sons 20 L
I mentioned how badly he wanted a "Dori" fish and she informed me that a Blue Tang would be fine in our tank, and when it gets bigger you either up grade your tank or they offer a program so when a Tang is too big for your tank you simply trade it in for a smaller one! At first I was thinking Thats GREAT! WOW! Cool!
Now that I have gotten over the excitement of the possibility of getting a blue tang I realized that it must be really weird that they are willing to do this. Is this common practice with large angels and tangs?? Isn't the stress of moving from a tank to a fish store and then into another tank really un-healthy?? My family and I have every intention of upgrading within a year to a 75 gallon, the sooner the better. But as the saying goes "life happens" and it may not happen.
I hope this goes without saying that I have given up on thinking we are getting a Blue Tang and we will just have to wait. Trying to explain this to my three year old will be another story... any feed back on the situation, or similar experiences would be great.
IS the trading of Blue Tangs common practice? Is this even something to consider...? It really does seem wrong, but my selfishness makes me curious.

First, 20 L is far too small for any tang. I am not a tang police but it is way too small for a tang except a small one for a year or so.

Moving a tang is not stressful if you know how, but the program to trade for small fish may not last.

It depends on how sure you are in getting a 75 gal. A four foot 75 tank is marginal for a large hippo tang, I guess this is what you have I suppose. The powered blue is a larger fish and needs a final tank 100 gal plus.

spamreefnew
09/23/2009, 05:32 PM
ide say put the $100 twords a larger tank first

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 05:56 PM
I am fully aware that 20L is way to small for a Tang and thats why I never considered one untill this lady mentioned this program to me. Like I said though, it just seems wrong. Is this really common practice with tangs?? We are pretty sure we want to upgrade, my husband grew up with a 75 and we would love to have bigger but right now thats not feasible.

albano
09/23/2009, 06:04 PM
I'm betting, that its more of a sales gimmick than actual practice, if they would tell the truth,(good LUCK!) they have probably, actually, traded out fish, less than ONCE!

Chago09
09/23/2009, 06:21 PM
Well I totally believe the ladies program and it makes sense she would follow up on it if your fish is healthy. Basically she sells tiny regal tangs for $60, but she bought them for $25 lets say. She made $35 bucks off you. Now your going to grow your Regal to medium sized and are going to bring it back to her for a small one again. She is going to give you another one which she paid $25 bucks but now your giving her one that she can sell for $120. So really she gets a medium tang for the price of a extra small. The more you do this the more she will make, plus its gonna help the sale. She is a smart business women.

That being said, shes not a smart hobbyist. Everything I said above is true, except you need to bring back a live healthy fish for the deal to work. In 20 liters, you will never be able to keep your end of the bargan. Regals are extremely sensitive to ich, which usually comes with stress. 20 liters of water, a excited 3 year old sticking his/her nose against the glass. that fish won't last a month.(I know from experience LOL) If your to have a 20 litre just to teach your child some good aquarium keeping and have fun in the meantime. Save your money and just buy some tetras etc fresh water fish are inexpensive and you couldn't kill them if you tried. Then when your ready for the 75 gallon, then do it right and get into Salt Water. Believe you me, you will thank me one day. I don't think there is anyone on this site who has changed their mind and changed their tanks as many times as I have. Don't be like me and impulse buy. PLAN PLAN PLAN.

My 2 cents

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 06:37 PM
I have been there done that with fresh water for years, and my husband is familiar with Salt water from when he was a kid growing up.
There is no turning back now! We have already spent around $300 getting everything set up, a used tank, 15 lbs of live rock. 30 lobs of sand...a new light fixture and so on.
I dont plan on getting a Tang (for the record) not untill we go bigger with the tank. I have another posting on an appropriate combination of fish for the tank as well...
Oh and its not 20 Liters its a 20 gallon long :)

arredondojason
09/23/2009, 07:06 PM
it makes sence on the stores part you buy a fish at a tiny size you take care of it for a year or how ever long and pay to feed it and keep the water quality and what not then it gets bigger say med or lrg size you trade it in for a smaller one and they get the bigger one. then they sell your fish as a lrg and make a bigger profit margin.

but your tank is way to small for a tang i have a 240 gal. tank and i am thinking about 3 and i think that is pushing it.

robs.mark
09/23/2009, 07:06 PM
Well lets look at this logically, IF everything went fine for a year or so until the tiny fish outgrew your tank, the LFS would take it back and give you another tiny one, meanwhile they sell the adult fish for $30 dollers more, its a win for them, you get a small fish evrybodys happy.
However i think its unethical to put any tank in a tank less than 50g..

robs.mark
09/23/2009, 07:07 PM
sorry arredondojason should have read your post first!

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 07:28 PM
It obviously makes sense from a business stand point. Unfortunately I am sure a lot of people take advantage of this "program" so they can have a Tang.

sks4613
09/23/2009, 08:15 PM
Everyone is mentioning the store makes money. Usually the larger fish the higher the price. However the same could be said for your trade in on the fish. If you bought him for 60 and now he is large or medium and will sell for 120 you should be able to trade him in for close to what you paid. THAT BEING SAID. I am condoning anything that would stress or hurt fish or anything for that matter. However buying, selling, returning for trade is not that uncommon and not unethical. I choose not to stock anything that I will have to remove. I have 150 lb maze of LR in my DT and its a mess to get anything out to begin with. If you build a relationship with you LFS and they are honest people if you feel comfortable with it its up to you. However Anything you buy should be appropriate for the new home you can provide. If not thats the part that may not be unethical just in need of more knowledge of the needs about the animal your buying.

jasoncampbell83
09/23/2009, 09:42 PM
Good for you for looking out for the fish's well-being! All the saltwater stores local to me would never give that advice. Sounds like they are just out for the money and not looking out for the fish. Tangs are very susceptable to ick, that would be a lot of stress on the fish to be in such a small tank and to be moving back and fourth to the pet store. How about getting a clownfish for your son? Hopefully he likes Nemo. Good luck!

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 10:00 PM
He definitely wants Nemo, but his logic is...Whats nemo without Dori? lol I told him that it wasn't nice to keep Dori in a small tank and that when we got a bigger tank we would get Dori. He seemed ok with that. I know there is a blue fish with a yellow tail that is ok for smaller tanks, we might just pretend thats Dori for now!

IridescentLily
09/23/2009, 10:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15750549#post15750549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltLifeLove
It obviously makes sense from a business stand point. Unfortunately I am sure a lot of people take advantage of this "program" so they can have a Tang.
you are correct. And yes, i've heard of some lfs doing this, and as you initially thought, it's a jacked way to stress out the fish, etc., etc.
It doesn't sound right or good to you because it isn't.
And you are the exception Rather than the rule because you asked first before buying.
Kudos to you. :beer:

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 10:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751576#post15751576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IridescentLily
you are correct. And yes, i've heard of some lfs doing this, and as you initially thought, it's a jacked way to stress out the fish, etc., etc.
It doesn't sound right or good to you because it isn't.
And you are the exception Rather than the rule because you asked first before buying.
Kudos to you. :beer:

I am so happy I found this forum! SO far everyone has been helpful and very understanding to my "newb" status ;)

prolawn_care
09/23/2009, 10:24 PM
My best advice for you is if you haven't bought a tank yet check craigslist.org!!!!!!

The best website ever!! You can pick up a tank for basically nothing!! I bought a 175 gallon acrylic tank with a stand and all the fiters and pumps and a refugium tank for 125 bucks and a 20 mile trip!!! Especially right now people dont have the money to keep up with their tanks and or need money for rent... So desperate times call for desperate measures!

Also yes a blue and yellow damsel will live very peacfully with a clown fish and they can live in smaller enclosures. And their only 3-6 bucks around here!!

Good luck and remember to cycle the tank first and dont just jump into stocking fish... It will pay off to cycle it and or buy a product to help cycle it quicker!

Let us know how it goes!!

SaltLifeLove
09/23/2009, 10:35 PM
I did get my tank off craigslist. We paid $30 for the 20 long with filter and some extra stuff as well. I plan on getting my larger tank off of craigslist as well. I <3 craig! We will do a 10 or 20 percent water change this weekend before we get fish.
Thanks!

IridescentLily
09/23/2009, 11:09 PM
;). Good luck with the tank. I'm a stay at home mom too now. Boy/Girl twins. Kept sw fish tanks with live rock for many years, but I am a noob as far as corals go. Plan on setting up another tank soon, a reef tank. *gulp* The kids are excited and requested clownfish for the tank.
Let us know how it goes with the tank , I'm excited for you.
I look forward to seeing the progression of it.
Thanks much. :-)

VacavilleFC3S
09/24/2009, 04:25 AM
i have an 1 1/2" atlantic blue tang , he's so freakin cute

SaltLifeLove
09/24/2009, 07:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751840#post15751840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IridescentLily
;). Good luck with the tank. I'm a stay at home mom too now. Boy/Girl twins. Kept sw fish tanks with live rock for many years, but I am a noob as far as corals go. Plan on setting up another tank soon, a reef tank. *gulp* The kids are excited and requested clownfish for the tank.
Let us know how it goes with the tank , I'm excited for you.
I look forward to seeing the progression of it.
Thanks much. :-)

TWINS "gulp"! ;) How old? My son is three. My mom keeps telling me how cute it would be if I had twins the next time around and I said well I only wanted two..not three!

As far as the reef goes, I am SOOO excited, but I think my husband is even more excited. He is very cocky that everything is going to be just fine. I think I have scared myself a little by reading SO much. I go to him to talk about something and I am using all theses words, and he just looks at me like I am nuts! I am actually going back to school at the moment, and instead of studying I am reading about corals and fish for hours at a time! Thank you reef central for providing me with all the procrastination I need ;)

jasoncampbell83
09/24/2009, 09:45 PM
haha I done the same thing while I was in school! Yup reef central is for sure a procrastination tool! Good luck with your tank and with school!

hotrodolds
09/24/2009, 10:06 PM
i think this site is the bane of all college students lol

Good luck on the set up.

hotrodolds
09/24/2009, 10:06 PM
i think this site is the bane of all college students lol

Good luck on the set up.

D3monic_Urges
09/24/2009, 10:11 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z79/amplexus67/tangpolicefs8.jpg

SaltLifeLove
09/24/2009, 10:25 PM
Well between my husband yelling at me to study and my fascination of this new hobby, I am leaning toward the tank! I feel have learned more in a week of salt water tanks than I have all semester :)