PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down

Phisher
09/23/2009, 06:42 PM
I have a 48x24x24 I would like to have chopped down to 48x24x16, 1/2" glass. Curious as to what would be involved in doing this? Would it need to be disassembled? What would you use to cut down 1/2" glass?

Cost effective to have this done professionally as opposed to just buying a new tank?

kcress
09/23/2009, 07:23 PM
I'd give you about 40/60 odds of pulling it off successfully. That size - I'd just look around for a trade or sell it and get what you want instead.

coralnut99
09/23/2009, 08:20 PM
handheld diamond wheel saw. You can find them in the tile & flooring section of box stores. They are wet wheels designed to cut tile. Clamp a plywood edge guide to the tank, and use the same guide on all four sides. Expect to make several passes and make quite a mess in the process. Patience is key here. It's an investment. They aren't cheap, and you should try it on scrap glass first to get used to it. Dismantling, having the glass cut, and reassembling makes me tired just thinking about it.

Lunchbucket
09/23/2009, 08:25 PM
Why cut it down?

Amp2020
09/23/2009, 09:50 PM
What would be involved is a lot more time and money than it's worth. Just trade someone your tank for a shorter one. I don't think you'll find one that's 24" deep but if height is more important then there's plenty out there. Or at least sell it and buy a custom tank. Look at places that sell turtle tanks and you'll find many tanks like you are making.

Phisher
09/24/2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the input. My wife's family owns a glass business, I was mostly curious what was involved before taking it to them, not actually doing it myself.

I was cutting it down because I really like the modern look of the shallow, rimless tanks people have been putting together lately. Plus when this 24" tall tank was running needing to get a ladder and then getting wet to my shoulder got old when I needed to work in the tank.

Its up for sale on RC and 2 local forums, not a big market in my area I guess.

Lunchbucket
09/24/2009, 12:01 PM
If it was me I'd keep it. Will loose a lot on the sale and cost a lot to get a new one.

But it's your call you have to be happy w/ the tank

Amp2020
09/24/2009, 02:23 PM
Here is another idea. Raise the bottom with an eggcrate shelf and then place wood trim around the bottom to cover up the space under the eggcrate. Makes your tank look smaller but still have the water volume.

Phisher
09/24/2009, 03:24 PM
I'm actually wanting to get rid of some volume. Humidity and wattage to keep the thing lit and water flowing is killing me, good idea though Amp.