PDA

View Full Version : diy acrylic aquarium

ksohal
09/23/2009, 07:17 PM
I have been researching for the past few weeks on how to build an acrylic aquarium. The dimensions I using are 96"Lx48"Wx24H.
If anyone has any good references to use in educating me on how to build an acrylic aquarium I would really appreciate it. I have been on garf.org at has helped. Any walk through websites or people with experience would be a great help
Thanks

kcress
09/23/2009, 07:21 PM
Search in here. There are quite a few threads on the subject. One MONDO thread too.

There are several good YouTube'rs on the process.

You should definitely NOT build your large tank before trying at least one less expensive build first. Perhaps build your sump first.

ksohal
09/23/2009, 07:28 PM
I appreciate the response. I have some acrylic at the house now that I am practicing on. I am in no hurry to have this tank up anytime soon. I am going to practice a fair amount before I have the confidence and the skill to do it.
I have entered diy acrylic aquariums on the search engine before and it yields a lot of plywood and glass aquariums. maybe I am not looking hard enough. I have used google and youtube too. Maybe I overlooking some info.
Thanks for the help and advice.

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 07:54 PM
This should get you started:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1171757

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96763&pp=25

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 08:12 PM
BTW, unless you have experience working with acrylic, I think that you are putting a lot on your plate. Building a tank with those dimensions is not going to be easy and will take a lot of research and practice. For the dimensions you want, you will need some thick acrylic. You'll need a certain type of acrylic (not the crap from Lows). You'll need special tools to get the cuts and edges just right. Not to forget the $$$ spent on all of the little practice tanks that you will definitely want to build before the biggie.

Look, I am not trying to discourage you, but from the looks of your Hobby Experience, you got enough too learn in just keeping a tank let alone building one. I'd hate to see you loose interest in the hobby or just go broke trying to build this thing before you even get a chance too enjoy it. Too many people get out of this hobby because they get in over their heads, and I wanna see it grow.

ksohal
09/23/2009, 08:19 PM
I really do appreciate your concern.

I have the same reservations and I know this is daunting task. That's why I am trying to research it as much I can. I appreciate the links. I will check them out.

I will see how it goes with building smaller tanks first. If I can find a used large aquarium instead I will purchase it before I attempt to build this monster.

I just want to see what I could potentially be getting myself into.

Thanks for the help!

Amp2020
09/23/2009, 09:23 PM
I've been making my own external overflow boxes and sumps for the last three years and have this to say. If you have some woodworking tools laying around and have skills with creating things by hand then this is a project for you. Can save lots of money and it a great feeling knowing you made it yourself. But if you don't own a single power tool and plan on having all the pieces cut for you, then don't expect to save any money. You might save 25% off from buying a professionally made tank and that's if you succeed the first time. With out all the tools and some talent then a diy tank will look diy and not professional. This is fine for sumps but I'd want my DT to look good. Plus small tanks are very forgiving but a tank this big will require some major engineering to prevent horribly noticable bowing. To go with a rimless tank the sides would need to be very thick and too costly. Better off with glass that is stiffer and won't bow as much. I was shocked at the cost of making a 100 gallon tank and can't even imagine how much your tank will cost is materials alone.

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 09:46 PM
Amp2020, DIYing external overflows and small sumps,will not compare to DIYing 96"Lx48"Wx24H tank. At least not in my opinion. The welding on a small project like the ones mentioned will not have to withstand nowhere near the the pressure of a 96"Lx48"Wx24H tank.

ksohal, I admire your enthusiasm to build this, but I bet you can find a cheap tank in your local forum, or RC's *Selling, and Trading Forums* , or even CraigsList. Buy one cheap to see if this hobby is for you. If you like it, then try building your tank.

Amp2020
09/23/2009, 09:59 PM
I would start small before jumping into a project this big. My 24" cube sump is under the exact same pressure as his dimensions. But his tank would have a ton more stress and need lots of support. If you can't make a good sump that's under small amounts of stress then you don't have any business making a tank this big. Start small and build your skills and confidence in being able to do it right. If your only motivation is to save money. Then I'd bet you'll be dissapointed.

Amp2020
09/23/2009, 10:01 PM
Good luck finding a tank with those dimensions on craigslist unless you are near an aquarium that's going out of business. A lot of them are but I've never seen a tank like this before.

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 10:40 PM
LOL, I didn't say that he could find one in those dims. Anything, 96" long is gonna be custom. Im just saying that he can find a big tank cheap to get his feet wet with(no pun). Even though I worry about a newbies skill at building a tank this size, I am not saying that he cannot eventually build his skills to do a tank this size. My main concern is that this is not a project for someone so new to our hobby. He's never even had a tank. How does he know if it's even worth the time to learn how to DIY a tank. He could start a 20L next week and find out he doesn't like this hobby. I feel that he should see how he likes the hobby first before jumping in to a big project. Heck, he could spend the next 5mos honing his skills, and actually creating this tank, only to find out he doesn't like it.

It's kind of like, watching NASCAR for the first time. You don't just say "hey I wanna be a race car driver" go out and spent $500,000 on a car, only to wreck into the first wall. Just because you know how to drive doesn't mean you should be racing.

ksohal
09/23/2009, 11:03 PM
I agree with all of your comments.

It is a big task. After reading the links that were provided it does make me reconsider. I had found some links that made it seem like a no brainer to build your own.

That's why I figured I would run it by the more experienced here on reefcentral.com.

I appreciate the concern.

Thanks

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 11:16 PM
If you need help to find a good first tank let me know. I'll do what I can. This is what RC is about..

kcress
09/23/2009, 11:39 PM
Take a month to find an aquarium on CL. You will be surprised what comes up. I was building a 72x24x36T and it finally dawned on me what a long, drawn out, expensive, job it was becoming.

I turned to CL and decided I had some chance finding a 72x24x24T (a 180Long). After a couple screw ups by people who thought that's what they had I seemed to run out of prospects on CL.

So I wrote an "Aquarium Wanted" ad. I wrote "Any 72x24x whatever Tall, would be considered."

The very first offer was for a 72x24x36T!!! I own it now. I can move ahead.

Just be flexible on what you can use, and you can score on CL.

ksohal
09/23/2009, 11:42 PM
I appreciate it.

I currently have a 90 gallon right now that is empty. I used to keep piranhas for years. Then, over the past 8 years, I have moved numerous times (due to work) so i decided to give away my freshwater fish.

So over the years I have been researching marine fish and have been fascinated and impatiently waiting to set up my tank.

I had thought I purchased a 96x30x30 aquarium but seller backed out of the deal at the last minute.

I have a high stress job and in all the cities I have lived in I have sought out the local aquariums and fish stores. The beautiful exotic fish of the ocean fascinate and relax me to end.

Once things start to slow down I would like to set up a large aquarium. I have been trying to find good deals on large aquariums on craigslist and other online resources and seem to move when a good deal comes my way.

Thanks for all the help

Aqua Keepers
09/23/2009, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm glad that you see the light of the salty world. However, your old Piranhas hobby is no where the same. Honestly a 90g is a good sized tank to start with this hobby

Acrylics
09/24/2009, 08:09 AM
ksohal,

Whereabouts are you located?

There is simply no better source of acrylic fab info on the net than right here on RC. There are a handful of threads - maybe 3 or 4 that are IMO "required reading." You don't have to read all of them through and through, just one and skim the others. Two of them are linked above and another is http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390652 If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :)

Oh, and IMO, you can just about forget anything you read on GARF regarding building an acrylic tank. For the most part, it's bad info if you actually want to do it right the first time. Again, IMO :)

HTH,
James

ksohal
09/24/2009, 01:06 PM
Currently I am living in Dallas. I will be traveling back and forth between Dallas and Austin for about the next 8 months and then I am back in Calgary for the off season.
Thanks for all the feedback!