PDA

View Full Version : Spotfin Lionfish - 38 gallon - Tankmates?

Stormvillefish
09/23/2009, 08:06 PM
Really like the spotfin lionfish ... looking to get one for an empty 38 gallon of mine ... what are good tankmates for this fish? What can you tell me about these fish? Would the lion be the fist fish in the tank or the last? Thanks.

Exiledonmainstr
09/23/2009, 08:17 PM
Hi. I would not put any type of lionfish in a tank that small, let alone any tankmates. I think you should google lionfish and read some of the wealth of information you find there including what the experts suggest for minimum tank size for one of these guys. Best of luck to you.

LisaD
09/23/2009, 09:19 PM
any of the medium or large lions are definitely too large. maybe a dwarf lionfish, for a while, but even those get up to around 7".

you will find this useful:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

If you can't open the link, do a google search on:
Marini lionfish reefkeeping and click on "Lionfish Info Sheet" when it comes up.

Stormvillefish
09/24/2009, 04:03 AM
Thanks folks ... appreciate the information ... when I looked at the minimum tank sizes on these it said 30 gallons so I thought I would be okay ... guess I'll just need to wait on the lion for a bigger tank ... I would put one in my 135 but with my dogface puffer and pinktail trigger I know that would be a disaster. Any recommendations as far as stocking a cool 38 gallon fowlr would be appreciated ... hate to see a tank go to waste! Thanks!

Stormvillefish
09/24/2009, 04:04 AM
By the way ... LisaD ... thanks for the article ... very interesting!

LisaD
09/24/2009, 08:29 AM
Minimum tank size recommendations tend to be way low, especially when they come from fish sellers.

If you like lionfish, and if you have decent filtration for 38, I'd consider:

Dwarf fuzzy lionfish

Green wolf eel blenny or engineer goby (goby may outgrow tank eventually)

That's probably enough, but I think you could get by with one more moderately small fish - Maybe a large royal gramma or six line wrasse, or black sailfin blenny (lion and wolf eel both needs to be small or you will risk fish like these being eaten)

I have a wolf eel blenny - I've had it at least four years, and it is not a voracious predator. It's with a small toby, small boxfish, marine betta, and dogface puffer. The only fish I ever worried about it bothering were seahorses (which I moved).

IMO, dogface puffers are sweethearts, and yours may be okay with a lion. Possible the pinktail would be okay too. While there is definitetely some risk, this could work. You'd have to have a plan, in case it didn't (and the 38 is only suitable for the smallest lions). Can you partition your tank with egg crate?

How long have you been keeping sw tanks? If you have a couple years experience, it may be worth a try.

FMarini
09/24/2009, 12:29 PM
stormville-
The other excellent source of scoprionfish/lionfish info is scott michael book "reef fish vol1", it has a whole section on lions.
While his husbandry info is excellent- he's (IMHO) is alittle short on his tank requirements as well, and his comments in regards to this are" lionfish in general are sedentary and therefore don't need much room.
While true ,they tend to be sedentary when older, while younger most are pretty active, and grow very quickly.
If you consider a P Antennata it will get around 8-10" long and have a decent pectoral fan. 30 gals is too small for a fish that size.
A P volitans will reach the size of an america football in one year- so choose your tank size accordingly

--- I'm glad you like the lionfish article- and found it useful.

Stormvillefish
09/24/2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Lisa ... I've been keeping sw fish for almost 2 years now. The dwarf fuzzy lion and green wold blenny sounds like an interesting combination. Can you keep hermits with these guys?

As far as the 135 ... if I wanted to try a larger species lion ... with the puffer and pinktail ... would it also work with the other inhabitants I have ... a purple tang and harlequin tusk?

Thanks again.

Exiledonmainstr
09/24/2009, 12:57 PM
I actually had a 40 gallon when I was a beginner and I kept a percula clown, a flame angel and a 6 line wrasse in it. They did quite well but really appreciated when I upgraded. I wish you luck with this tank.

FMarini
09/24/2009, 02:43 PM
hermits are fine with both the wolf eel and the dwarf fuzzy