PDA

View Full Version : How Far from surface should powerhead sit for Aqua remora skimmer?

DominOE
09/23/2009, 08:24 PM
Hi I have a 45 gallon hex so it is a relatively tall tank and I am currently running an Aqua C remora hang on back skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 and am wonder how far from the surface should my powerhead sit to provide the best skimmate? Thanks

Mike31154
09/23/2009, 09:28 PM
As close to the surface as practicable without the pump sucking air and cavitating. You'll want to allow some margin for changes in water level. A pre skimmer box would be a better bet, but I understand the one made for the Remora is rather bulky. Back when I had a Remora HOB, I used one of those $20 surface skimmer devices available at most any LFS. It's a vertical tube with an intake at the bottom, a tee for the pump intake above that and a small, slotted floating cup that sits in the opening at the top. There is an adjustment rod that goes through the top and allows you to adjust how much water is sucked in by the bottom intake and how much the surface cup will draw. This assembly will automatically compensate to some degree for water level changes.

DominOE
09/23/2009, 10:14 PM
thanks mike!