PDA

View Full Version : New tank is safe when?

Mako72
09/24/2009, 06:40 AM
In general, how long does it take for a new tank to cycle? I have an anemone from an existing tank I would like to move to the new tank at some point. The new tank is 5 weeks old. Any tips on when it would be good to move would be great....parameters on the new tank have been stable and are as follow.....

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 3.5 meq
Salinity .024-.025
temp 77 F

A sea K
09/24/2009, 07:04 AM
Generally speaking, every tank cycles different. I cycled mine with LR and barely even saw an ammonia spike, two weeks and I was done.
Your parameters say its good to go but as a rule anemone's require a "seasoned" tank. Not saying its impossible but the odds are against you with a 5 week old tank.
Don't know how long you can keep him in the current tank or what the new housing arrangements are but I would wait about 4 months if at all possible.

Gwynhidwy
09/24/2009, 07:12 AM
When people talk about cycled, they generally mean that the nitrifying bacteria have established. That's enough for some animals, but not for others. I would hesitate to put an anemone in a tank less than a few months old, not only because of stability (which even in very well managed new tanks is not generally as good as a mature system), but also because of the lack of micro flora and fauna in the tank. That generally takes several months to build up.

cody6766
09/24/2009, 07:12 AM
was your rock all new and "unused" or did it come from your tank?

If it's been in a running tank for a while and you have experience keeping that nem in another tank that has similar equipment and parameters you should be okay. I'd wait as long as possible, but sometimes the 6month rule can be broken

Mako72
09/24/2009, 10:25 AM
All of the LR is cured and some is from my other tank, also when I do water changes in my other tank (which has very good water quality) I dump it in the new tank. I use the same salt mix and both are bio-cubes. I even used the same sand substrate. I have had the anemone for over a year and I put him in my other tank when the tank was only a month old (I did this out of ignorance at the time).