PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown a mistake?

claire481
09/24/2009, 05:10 PM
I bought an established 14-gall Biocube display tank from a dealer about 10 months ago and only managed to get the green hair algae under control 2 months ago. I replaced the bio balls with LR and chem-pure carbon, I have a protein skimmer and everything is thriving. Water conditions are excellent and I have a clean-up crew consisting of 6 hermit crabs and 2 nassarius snails.

I bought a beautiful Maroon Clown a couple weeks ago, and after giving him a fresh-water dip to treat him for ich, he is doing wonderfully! He even gets along (sort of) with the little Talbot's Damsel I have in there. He eats like a vacuum cleaner, swims in the current and comes right up to the glass to greet me. The dealer told me he should be fine in my tank, but recently, I have been reading that they can grow to 6 inches and need at least 30 gallons! Please be honest, have I made a mistake? Is he doomed to die a slow death or will he be fine?
Does anyone else have a maroon clown in such a small tank? I will watch him closely for any signs of stress, and will return him if need be.

Tadashi
09/24/2009, 08:42 PM
She (I think she will become a female is alone or stay a juvenile) will be fine for now but wil require an upgrade later. If not so much for swimming room then filtration for water quality. Also, that clown was very aggressive in a 90-gal, it is going to be downright honary in a 14-gal. Plus not much room for rock once it get 5" and wants to swim around and dig. Not sure if all do that but mine liked to dig in the sandbed. Maybe because I had no anem or coral for it to host.

When it hits 3" start looking for something bigger.

cdsheid
10/12/2009, 03:38 PM
I have heard that bio balls arent the best thing for a reef tank. But i know little so ask around. but i have recently been getting on reef central and seen alot of posts and one said that bio balls are bad for a reef set up because they hold nitrates or nitrites one of the two or both. They said to replace the bio-balls with small broken pieces of live rock. But like i said keep asking around. I wish i knew that info when i started my 125 gallon reef that i am currently looking to sell and get a nano.

rickh
10/12/2009, 08:26 PM
I would start looking for a new home. My experience with the Maroon is they are big and MEAN.

Stripe01
10/12/2009, 09:01 PM
I have on in my 24g and it's been very peaceful with my 3 other fishes.

fantastic4
10/12/2009, 11:49 PM
Your tank is rather small, however, clowns don't need a lot of space, maroons grow ultra slow, mine are approx 7" F and 3 1/2" M mated. If your maroon is at an inch, by the time it gets to 3 or 4 inches it will be at least 2 to 3 years or more. This has been my experience. I love mine, lots of personality.

Tadashi
10/14/2009, 12:25 PM
Both my clowns are occelarious so I think 3" is max for the female. I think I figured out the issue. They are hosting my MP10. When I moved it she forced the male to move to the pump's new location. :p I give up. LOL it is their tank so if they are happy with the powerhead vice anemone I suppose I should just let it be.

ilikelps
10/14/2009, 02:17 PM
I had one in my 14gal. biocube as well, and he worked out fine with a bangai cardinal living with him. He did rule the tank, but when he outgrew it in such a small tank he was easy to capture and give back to the lfs.

good luck!