PDA

View Full Version : Tear and Rebuild

Chago09
09/24/2009, 07:13 PM
Ok the flood in my home caused me to neglect my tank for a few months. Now I have been fighting the GHA for too long and I don't even want to think about it for anotehr minute. I want to just tear down and rebuild again. Although I have some questions

I have a yellow tang and a clam that I really don't want to trade or loose. Could I keep them in a 20 gallon plastic container? put like 4 - 5 pieces of live rock and have the skimmer and power heads running? would this be suitable for 1 month?

My actual system I would remove all rock and water. I would really really gravel vac the gravel. Then would add fresh salt water. All the live rock I would scrub clean in tank water, this way I can maybe not have such a long cycle. I figure cleaning off all the rock in tank water would kill about 50% of bio bacteria so than I would only need a few weeks to get back to normal. Does this sound ok?

Chago09
09/26/2009, 07:47 PM
???

Zen685
09/26/2009, 08:01 PM
Have you tried overdosing magnesium? I'm currently overdosing with Kent Tech M like everyone is doing in this thread.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I'm ready to restart mine too if it doesn't work.

Wheel of Time
09/26/2009, 08:24 PM
The kent tech-m (magnesium) when overdosed is used primarily to halt Bryopsis, not hair algae.

Zen685
09/26/2009, 08:32 PM
It's supposed to work for both according to the people using it and most hobbyists can't tell the difference between hair algae species anyway.