PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Tank! Couple of questions:

AQUAholic91
09/24/2009, 08:41 PM
I am enjoying my first semester of college at U Maine but have been itching to start up my reef again.

My questions are:
-120 or 125? Am I going to appreciate the extra two feet in length?
-Can two luminarc reflectors cover the six foot length with 2 250 watt halides?
-Should my return be plumbed over the back or should I drill the return?
-Assuming I run a dart on a oceans motion four way and about 1000 gph return pump will I need additional powerheads in either one of these tanks? Suggestions? I am attempting to avoid powerheads.
-Do I need a separate pump for both my manifold and return? I am going to use the 1500 gph overflow kit from glass-holes.
-How man gph will I need to pump through my manifold to supply a reeftek calcium reactor, and two nextreef media reactors?

Thanks for your help! More questions to come and I'll be sure to post pictures of my progress!
Thanks for looking. :rollface:

graha321
09/24/2009, 08:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756695#post15756695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AQUAholic91
I am enjoying my first semester of college at U Maine but have been itching to start up my reef again.

My questions are:

What are you planning on keeping? Tangs may appreciate the extra two feet. However, aquascaping might be easier with the 120.

Zestay
09/24/2009, 08:54 PM
the 125 is one of my favorite tanks personally. you can use 150 or 175 watt halides because of how shallow it is , and stagger them to create a rolling photo period instead of 2 250s for the 120g.

also your fish options open up alot. i wouldnt put more than 2 small tangs in a 120, but id feel comfy putting 3 large tangs or 4 small ones in a 125. this is just me tho.

also a 6 foot tank has a ton of room under the stand.
enough for a 20gallon long frag tank =P

rbnice1
09/24/2009, 09:02 PM
A 125 is 24 inches tall. A 120 is 24 inches tall. And I wouldnt use 150 or 175 watts on either tank if you are doing sps.

If your onl,y doing a softy tank then sure.

Zestay
09/24/2009, 09:21 PM
guess im loosing my marbles.

InsaneClownFish
09/24/2009, 09:37 PM

120g is one of my favorite sizes for a reef because of the depth from front to back.
However, this is a complicated question because it hinges upon so many factors. Some people like the aesthetic of a longer tank. What fish will you keep? Tangs are more appropriate for a longer tank, but with the shallow depth it can make aquascaping for them complicated. Where is the tank going? Do you have the wall space for a long tank? If not, consider that the 120g will stick out into the room more. The 125g, if the wall space is available, saves some of the "floor space" in a tight room.

Are you away for college? This isn't for a dorm room right? Even if you are at home for college, please consider the time and energy it takes to maintain a largish reef tank. It may seem like a great idea now, but when college starts to get hectic- both socially and academically, you might be wishing for a little nano. ;)

-Can two luminarc reflectors cover the six foot length with 2 250 watt halides?

Nope, you will need 3. For the 6 ft reef I would consider a T5 setup. It will do the job well and the initial upfront cost and run costs might both be significantly cheaper.

-Should my return be plumbed over the back or should I drill the return?

Both those sizes you mentioned come in RR(Reef Ready versions) already drilled for two overflows. That is your best bet imo.

-Assuming I run a dart on a oceans motion four way and about 1000 gph return pump will I need additional powerheads in either one of these tanks? Suggestions? I am attempting to avoid powerheads.

Consider this, you can run a very efficient Eheim, or even a small mag for the return. Don't be afraid of internal pumps. I use two Koralia Magnums for my 8 ft reef. Yup just 2! :D

Do I need a separate pump for both my manifold and return? I am going to use the 1500 gph overflow kit from glass-holes.

I would. Unless you have a sizeable enough pump to handle both, and you can somehow control the flow, then it's probably your best bet. I'm not familiar with the particular manifold you're describing though.

-How man gph will I need to pump through my manifold to supply a reeftek calcium reactor, and two nextreef media reactors?

See above. :) Since I'm not familiar with it, I would relay any of those questions to the manufacturer- or try to find someone who has used one.

Hope this helps. :)