PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have a cleaner shrimp, and snails in a bb tank?

Been_There8
09/26/2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, this is what im thinking. First off, i have a 14 gallon biocube. (not started yet, trying to get all the information before i start) I'm planning on getting a koriala 1 or koriala nano for the tank aswell. (Most likely nano)

So, last time i had it running, my nitrates were always around 20-25, and i know it was because of the sand bed. There was all this fish poop, and left over food down there. Like in the sand. This time, im going to go bear bottom, since i hear its much easier to take care of.

So, im thinking that with the powerhead pointing to the bottom of the tank, not letting anything sit down, since the pressure of the powerhead is going to be pushing everything, i know i wont be able to have hermit crabs, its just going to harrass and push those poor things around, but i was wondering what about a skunk cleaner shrimp and snails? I know i must have the snails so it can eat the algea, and i just really love the cleaner shrimp, and its good at eating left over food, but i dont know if they can survive if i have all this pressure at the bottom of the tank. If the shrimp tries to go down, it might break its legs, or it might be too strong for the snails. Can someone help me out with this, thanks, i apreciate it.

Been_There8
09/26/2009, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, 1 more thing, how much live rock would a 14 gallon need?, and with the powerhead that the biocube 14 comes with, would i need the koraila 1 or nano?

SkinnyArtist
09/27/2009, 07:31 AM
I have a 14 gallon Biocube with a Hydor Deflector on the stock return pump and a Koralia Nano. I have a sand bed, but the cleaner shrimp doesn't go down there much. He's usually hanging out on the rock right by the Koralia Nano. He's actually jumped up on the thing a few times. If all you have is the stock return pump and a Koralia Nano, I don't think that's going to cause any problems for your proposed skunk cleaner.

Personally I'd go with the Nano over the 1, but it depends on what you're planning on keeping. I find my tank has plenty of flow with what I've got.

I also recommend the Hydor Deflector. It's a very cheap method of getting some turbulence in the flow.