PDA

View Full Version : borbonius

Aadler
09/26/2009, 08:58 PM
thinking about picking up one of these tomorrow, hadn't seen any threads lately about them (exception: see below :c]) and was wondering how the long/mid term success was when they were hothothot 12 months ago. is 78/79 to warm? is MH no good? is keeping them alone no good? are they agressive towards other fish (wrasses).

lfs has a really healthy one, perfect size, real cheap.

lemme know

mike

ChuckLawson
09/26/2009, 11:01 PM
thinking about picking up one of these tomorrow, hadn't seen any threads lately about them (exception: see below :c]) and was wondering how the long/mid term success was when they were hothothot 12 months ago. is 78/79 to warm? is MH no good? is keeping them alone no good? are they agressive towards other fish (wrasses).

I'm not any sort of expert, but I've had two of them for six months. They seem quite hardy, will pretty much eat anything that doesn't eat them first (frozen, pellets, flakes, etc.). The tank they're in runs between 78 - 80, has 750 watts of MH and 320 watts of VHO actinic; the light doesn't seem to bother them, they'll swim midwater when all the lights are on, no problem. My two essentially ignore each other, so I think keeping them by themselves would probably be fine.

I've never seen any aggression with mine -- they're in with a couple other species of anthias, several rabbit fish, dwarf angels, pyramid butterflies, sleeper gobies and a firefish. On the other hand, they have huge mouths, and reportedly get to about 5" (mine are a bit shy of 2") -- I'm not sure I'd trust them with any fish small enough to be swallowed whole, but that would probably mostly be small gobies and the like.

Good luck if you decide to get it!

- Chuck

seahorsedreams
09/26/2009, 11:26 PM
Their tank got hot the summer. It definitely hit 80. My trio will eat anything. Are not shy. Was a bully to the sunburst, so I had to remove it. But a sunburst is very similar in shape. I don't have much in the way of lights over them.... it's pretty dim. They have grown a lot and will soon come out of their 30g to go into a 60.

jc16
09/27/2009, 02:17 AM
very hardy fish, i keep mine alone in 300g with 1600w mh and around 500w of t5. and will eat anything even nori. warmer temps are fine mine get up to about 82

Aadler
09/27/2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks all, think Ill get him assuming he is still there.

I'm not sure I'd trust them with any fish small enough to be swallowed whole, but that would probably mostly be small gobies and the like.

- Chuck

HAH ima pick up a neon goby with it lol.

SnookSlayer08
09/27/2009, 08:24 AM
Once they're eting they're hardy as can be based on my experience, I don't own any but the LFS has gotten 2 trios in over the last year or so and they all did very well. They're very territorial and not shy at all a huge male around 6-7" long had to be kept by him self since anything you put in there with him he'd kill or harrass. They'll do fine in warmer tanks, the LFS had one on display in a tank that ran at 78 until a power outage over the weekend killed all the fish in that tank. They'll eat anything as said before, LFS had them eating flake from day one. I'd love to have a small one in my 40brd then move it to a larger tank down the road. Keep in mind they're realated to groupers and a big male can surely eat a cleaner shrimp or the like if he wanted too.

seahorsedreams
09/27/2009, 12:01 PM
An anthias won't eat your smaller fish. They are planktonic feeders.

Znut Reefer
09/27/2009, 04:07 PM
I have a trio in my reef. They are with lots of wrasses, purple tang, archilles. Never had any problems. They will eat just about anything, they really love Mysis.