PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 65g please advise

anen
09/27/2009, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
I’m putting together my first reef, a 65g system and am trying to come up with my stocking list. Please advise.
So far:

Must haves: 2 clowns, a wrasse ( would prefer halichores but worried about infection risk- someone please chime in here)

Maybes: school of chromis (how many is suggested for a 3’ wide 65g?), dwarf angel, royal gramma

Looking for other suggestions/recommendations for stocking.

A couple other random questions: usually SW fish are quoted with a gallonage requirement, but tank length is not mentioned as it is in FW. Given my less common tank size, should I be looking for fish that have a 40 gallon min requirement instead of a 55? (being that a 55 is 4’)
When selecting fish that have different diet requirements (carnivore vs herbivore vs veg) How do you feed them all? Do you just throw a little bit of everything in at feeding time and let them find what they need?

SMOOTHIE
09/28/2009, 01:55 AM
With good water movement and a good skimmer that looks perfect. If you are worried about getting a wrasse with a worm problem there are threads on here on treatment in qt or try live aquaria. Chromis- go with 3.

anen
09/28/2009, 04:51 AM
As far as over stocking goes, is 2 clowns, a wrasse, dwarf angel, royal gramma, and 3 chromis too much?

I have purchased a used aquac ev120 and drilled a 1500gph overflow (will probabl run around 600 gph through the overflow with head loss)

Beaun
09/28/2009, 06:21 AM
I have 2 clowns, pygmy/cherub angel, and a chalk bass currently in my 65 and am planning on adding 1 or two more fish, so you should be fine with what you are planning on. Not sure about the chromis though, after a while you probably wont have 3 anymore, maybe 1 or two will be left. What about gobies/blennies?

anen
09/30/2009, 05:22 AM
I like the midas blenny, not a big fan of gobies though. Still a tentative list- maybe dottybacks or something

1DeR9_3Hy
09/30/2009, 08:18 AM
My dottyback was a homicidal maniac (putting it nicely)...but i also firmly believe that each fish is different (personality wise). With that said, most pseudochromis (dottys family) are rather aggressive towards fish with similar body shapes and/or coloration.